Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KingFisher

Boardgames

3 posts in this topic

Once a month I have all my friends come down into the city to play games at me and my girlfriend's place. We're all videogamers to varying degrees, but we use to meet up to play Magic: the Gathering.  Though a few of them are still really into it, we don't play much Magic anymore. These days it's a wide variety of boardgames, with a game like Magic getting a single round of 'commander' just as we'd play at least one round of anything else. The reason for the switch has been the realizing at just how much there is now in the sort of 'renaissance' the boardgame industry has experienced. There's such a variety of games, with all sorts of new stuff combined with a rediscovery of classics. Even Magic is experiencing it's highest popularity yet with a new online version called Arena.

Anyone else playing boardgames with friends?

Any other magic or yu-gi-oh players?

Anyone tried Keyforge? (he asks hopefully)

Keyforge is not a game I've heard of but I'm UK so maybe that explains it.. (Will youtube it when I get time).

Used to play D&D back in the day but haven't had my cards out for quite a while now, and I've played Magic before but now there's just no time.. 

Is Keyforge your new crush?

Yeah, it's a new cardgame by the original creator of Magic. It's very modern, playing faster than other games but being free for 'turn three wins'  and eschewing deck building in favor of unique decks.  Our entire group has switched over from Magic to Keyforge but the problem is that Magic is such a juggernaut it's tough for a new game, even with Richard Garfield's name on it, to actually get into the market he created :P

D&D is really seeing a resurgence these days as well, but it can difficult enough getting everyone over for regular games, much less something with that kind of commitment!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0