Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KingFisher

Otherkin on God

6 posts in this topic

Given the variety of incredible claims about angels, demons and even gods reincarnated among us; I'm curious how being in the Otherkin community might change someones concept of God. I know that, like all  questions of belief, it varies person to person as Otherkin don't have a monoculture. So I'm just interested in anyone's opinion on the relationship between the worlds and beings that the Otherkin believe in and the more widely understood notion of religious gods and/or the Abrahamic God in particular.

Feel free to just leave an opinion or story below, I'll include my own but you don't necessarily have to read or comment on it.

My Story:
I was raised an atheist, though it would be fair to call my household anti-theist. It wasn't just that we didn't believe in God, or that we knew God didn't exist, but that we were better for our true belief then they were for their lies. Even back then I've always had more respect for religion then either my brother or my dad, for example both of my best friends were Christian even though I would argue with them that they'd be better without it. As my experiences became more varied I lost the edge, gaining respect for beliefs in general, going to church regularly with one of those friends over a decade later.  I still didn't believe in God, you could say I believed in belief in God.  I wanted tangible evidence that never seemed to come...people tell you to have faith, to feel it, but that's not evidence. In all honesty this is why I first started watching Otherkin forums all those years ago, just to see and experience the culture of belief even if I was convinced you were all absolutely wrong.

It sounds cliche, but I had an interesting experience with psychedelic mushrooms shortly after. Sufficed to say literal truth, especial when dealing with ideas, matters to me less afterwards. This has been helpful for dealing with God, but also for things like other worlds and reincarnation. I want to say it's true, but not...literally true? words fail for something that is true and describes something, yet can't be understood except through representative language. That is to say we say we use beliefs to express things we know to be true but don't have the words to describe.

So while I'm not an Otherkin, I believe we refer to many of the same things but with different names.

I personally avoid use the phrase 'the truth' as much as possible because I believe each person contains within them their own truth, and that the world is a far different place to each person living in it than any of the rest of us could possibly understand.

I use the word belief to express those things that deep inside I feel to be real about myself but could offer no tangible 'proof' of to anyone who does not know what it's like to be me.. In fact without a common frame of reference I couldn't even begin to explain to anyone what it's really like to be me. They just wouldn't be able to understand, any more than I could really understand what it's like to be them, because I'm not them.. We might have some similar experiences, but we would perceive them and react to them differently because we are different people with different views and values. 

As a Pagan and a practising Wiccan I believe in many Goddesses and Gods not just one.. I have seen some of the things believers in god have done in the name of their deity and have absolutely no interest in any of it...

Mainstream religious belief unites it's various followers under different banners, this divides them into different groups where each is taught that all members of the other groups are to be hated, and therefore it is acceptable for any of them to be vilified and persecuted.. In fact the only thing they all seem to agree on is that people like me are evil and therefore damned to a hell we don't even believe in..

I can live with that.. lol

Thanks for sharing and I'm glad to see you mention paganism as i feel a little bad about having such a strong bias towards a deistic high-god when most of human religion has been just the opposite. Paganism has come back to make some great inroads into the culture and deserves the attention. I also agree on the issue around mainstream religion being dogmatic, it's why I have trouble actually going to church despite my interest.

As for truth/belief, this is where my actual psychedelic experience is less interesting than the belief shift after. A few years ago I would never have 'accepted' the statement that we all have our own belief. My argument would have been that things that function are agreeable by people, only things that have no functional impact can be 'personal belief'. The usual example is that no one has their own personal belief in technology. It either works or it doesn't and only something airy and impractical (such as religion) can be personal. 
Honestly I still feel it's necessary to state this opinion, there is such a thing as 'physical truth' that can preform functions which are universally agreeable, yet at the same time I no longer feel like it's a point worth making. When you say reality requires a frame of reference and people can't understand 'what it is to be you' it strikes me as being closer to the argument about art than technology. Technically art museums are just full of paint and canvas, yet they contain history, culture, emotion and other qualities which are both real and unprovable. It sounds so strange to me to say that reality is more like art than science, but in many ways that starts to feel accurate. 

I am a pagan and in my spiritual path, Otherkin play a big role in the mythology; there are Draugir which reminds a bit of Vampires, Ellefolket who are Elves, Merpeople, Shapeshifters etc. So I have never experienced any kind of conflict there, in fact, it has helped me a lot to judge the personalities of fellow Otherkin; far from all Demons are evil and I have encountered Angels who were real bastards and I would perhaps have thought differently had a been a christian or what have you,

On 07/11/2019 at 8:42 PM, KingFisher said:

My argument would have been that things that function are agreeable by people, only things that have no functional impact can be 'personal belief'. The usual example is that no one has their own personal belief in technology. It either works or it doesn't and only something airy and impractical (such as religion) can be personal. 

But to me technology is one of the main areas where there is no fixed truth, and people can only have their own personal belief.. Things are being improved and upgraded so fast that what a person believes one day can literally be no longer true the next. One person's truth is another person's outdated technology.. lol

Hey Simara, Definitely have a lot of the same kinds of experiences with Demons/Angels.. I never generalise because in my experience there are no 'average, normal, people'..

Edited by Demovora Cain
Edited to add reply to Simara..

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0