Zygopterix

The Rhino is being hunted to extinction

4 posts in this topic

This is a copy of an email I received this morning from Avaaz.org

I would ask you all to read and join the cause to help petition against the ongoing trade in rhino parts.

I can assure you that if you sign up with them they will not use your email for anything other than newsletters like this one and the occasional request for funding (which you are free to ignore if you want to)

Please help

Zygo :flame:

Dear friends,

2103_rhino2_3_200x100.png

The rhino is being hunted to the brink of extinction -- driven by growing horn demand in Asia. But EU pressure on China and Vietnam can force international action to save the rhino -- sign our petition today to ensure the EU acts!

btn_signthepetition.png

The rhino is being hunted into extinction -- and could disappear forever unless we act now. Shocking new numbers reveal that 440 rhinos were brutally killed for their horns last year in South Africa alone, up from 13 just five years ago. Now, the hunt is so extreme even British zoos are on red-alert for roving gangs trying to poach their rhinos.

Rhino horns are used to make good luck charms and hangover remedies by Chinese and Vietnamese elites, but both countries have ignored calls from around the world to crack down on trade. The European Union has the power to push for a ban on all rhino imports into China and Vietnam -- making poaching much less profitable.

The EU is meeting next week to discuss animal protection -- but only a giant call from people around the world will push the rhino to the top of the agenda. Sign the petition below and if we reach 500,000 signatures, Avaaz will deliver it to delegates in front of the media alongside a giant rhino!

http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_rhino_nm/?vl

One rhino was killed every day in South Africa this January, home to 80% of the world’s remaining rhinos. Horns now have a street value of over $65,000 a kilo -- more expensive than gold, platinum or even cocaine. The South African Environment Minister has pledged to take action by putting 150 extra wardens and even an electric fence along the Mozambique border to try and stem the attacks -- but the scale of the threat is so severe that global action is required.

Unless we act today, the “Big 5†could soon shrink to the “Small 4â€. The Chinese are continually lobbying for the trade in horn to be relaxed and banning the trade in rhinos will put a decisive end to their plan. With the EU’s leadership, we can bring these international gangsters to justice, put the poachers in prison and push for public awareness programmes in key Asian countries -- and end this horn horror show for good.

The EU meeting next week is critical and is our best chance of stopping the slaughter. Our call now can make sure a rhino trade ban is at the top of their agenda. Sign now -- together we can stop the slaughter across Africa:

http://www.avaaz.org/en/save_the_rhino_nm/?vl

I signed this, but it didn't make any difference and I'm fuming.

I read the final draft of the presentation of Commissioner Dalli and he's doing what all pencil pushers do, using the money they have to hire more pencil pushers.

He suggests they open centres to monitor the situation, set up a European network of reference centres, open the subject of the research already carried out to widespread discussion and debate, and generally waste time and resources whilst making sure they are very well paid while all this is happening.

In fact the only decent thing I can see mentioned in his speech at all is this part

· A new framework could also contain new communication tools, such as information and education campaigns, to increase transparency and quality of information to consumers on animal welfare to help them in making food purchases.

At least we'll get the info we need to make a difference, though I do feel that this once more lands the responsibility for animal welfare squarely in our laps. They get the big bucks and we get to do all the bloody work. Just about typical, damn government bodies to hell.

Oooh forgot to say you can find the info here http://www.animalwel...ean-parliament/

Thankyou Dem, I read through that and none of it has anything to do with the illegal trade in endangered species at all, never mind anything Rhino specific. It only relates to food consumption, how can that have anything to do with rhino horn.

I also checked avaaz.org and there is nothing there yet regarding what might be happening, people are still signing the petition but its not going to do any good if bureaucrats like Dalli shove it under piles of red paper.

This needs to go to someone more important and more agreeable, hopefully Avaaz has it covered.

The EU certainly doesn't, that response was pathetic.

Zygo :flame:

This has to be one of the biggest sell outs of endangered species in history. They could have done so much, and they did nothing at all.

This whole thing is just disgusting.