TimeisIndustry

New Kin Category

11 posts in this topic

A place for Mediakin/Fictionkin would be nice to see here. The one on Therian Guide isnt very active. It would be nice to have some conversation here. I have a bit to talk about already.

I'm not sure how many media/fictionkin we have here. But I'm sure we would be happy discuss with you

Posted (edited)

I agree with Mog, I'm not sure we have too many fictionkin here but we are open to discussing it. I believe there have been a few mentions in introductory posts about it. The admins may have an idea on where to put a topic on this subject or may create a new room, but it is at their discretion.

As a side note that I forgot to put in originally, it's not just the Therian room that's inactive, it's the entire forum. Life keeps us all busy but if there are things you'd like to discuss in a particular area, just start a thread and we will be happy to chime in when life gives us the chance.

Edited by Rhannan
Forgot to add

I believe TimeIsIndustry is talking about The Therian Guide, which is another forum focussing mainly on therianthropy, Rhannan. :smile:

So a new room has been requested and the request is, as always here, open for voting by all active members.

We look forward to hearing your thoughts on a new addition.

I've been leary of fictionkin from personal experience, but it's beyond me to judge if they should be here or not. As long as we all get along and are constructive about it, then I'm for it.

Ah, alright.

Well, I know that it can be argued that we are all fictionkin, however I've had some...not so great experiences with actual fictionkin. My concern is what we would be opening ourselves up to with an entire room dedicated to that. I've met my fair share of Draculas, werewolf princes, and even Gokus. And there have definitely been a few RPers that have attempted to traipse through our halls before. So, while I hate being the debbie-downer here, it's going to have to be a no from me. I don't have an issue with a thread about it and discussing the topic, I'm just not in love with the idea of an entire room. However, if Timeisindustry would like to create a blog on here and write about it, that would be a different matter since blogs are done on whatever subject the owner of it wishes and it isn't something that can be viewed by non-members.

(And I'm not saying I'm not alright with there being fictionkin here, it's just that...personal experience makes me feel a room is a bad idea.)

I have got to agree with Rhannan on this one and for the same reason.

I have lost count how many fairy royalties, Maharets, and Enkils that I have encounted in various Otherkin forums.

I think officially granting fictionkin a room would be like putting up a sign saying "Role Players Welcome", so I no other choice than to vote Nay!

While I would definitely be open to making one in the future if we had more members who would use it I'm sorry but for now my vote would be no. I don't think we need a forum dedicated to fiction kin at the moment. I don't care what other people might think of The Castle, our reputation was set long ago, my objection is that we simply don't have enough members who would use it, and unless we do get more fiction kin members I think any discussions could be put into other spaces for now. For instance I think Rhannan's idea of a personal blog space for TimeIsIndustry is an excellent idea.

I enjoy discussing fiction kin if the topic is approached sensibly, I know a few people for instance who claim to be 'Navi' and have had memories awakened by seeing the film and with nothing better to relate those memories to feel like Navi kin best represents them. They discuss the topic with open minds and a sensible approach, but I've met my share of people who swear they are actually Count Dracula or better yet his son! Which is absolute rot of course, even if Dracula had not been the creation of a 19th century horror novelist Vampires cannot have children because they're not alive... And yet there they are claiming human type blood-ties to someone who doesn't exist and never has and becoming aggressive and rude when anyone tries to talk to them sensibly about it..  

But then I've known people from all kin races like that.. lol

I'm still fairly new here, but I do think fictionkin can have a place in discussions.  I think some people do have an awakening of being Otherkin as a result of fiction.  I don't think we have large numbers of undiscovered "flavor of the month" Otherkin.  Just my thoughts.

Dem is correct, we don't really have very many fictionkin members. I don't have a problem discussing the topic, it's certainly an...interesting one, especially when I consider how I've taken anything fictional that has stirred something in me. Movies, books, anime, all of that has the power to call up memories and start the path of awakening, but too many people never go further than that. Right now, having a dedicated room like we do for therians, fire-related entities, fae, etc, just seems like an invitation for trouble. And many of these fictionkin would fall into other categories anyway. For instance, if someone feels strongly towards a specific character that is a nekomata/bakeneko (I have a friend that does), we have a place for that type of kin. I think that these people, also, will need to be prepared for the same level of questions we get when introducing ourselves, if not a higher level of scrutiny. It's unfortunate that many people take offense to the questioning and will become, as Dem said, aggressive and rude. However, the major concern is opening ourselves further to RPers and we prefer to make sure there is some basis for the claim. An individual thread on it would be a start, to at least get the conversation rolling, but at the moment that's about as far as I'm willing to put my home in the path of those who will abuse the topic.

I suppose another alternative would be to create a spot for kin who don't fit into the categories we already have. I know we have a couple of hybrid kin on the forum, it might be a good place for them to discuss their various aspects and how they fit together. And those who are fictionkin could discuss there as well and use it as a starting point for continuing their search in a kin-friendly environment with people who are willing to help.

I would also vote no. Awakening via fiction and being fictionkin are very different things. I am happy to discuss it also, but as we have so little member who are and the drama it can invite by creating that space I am sorry but it's not worth it.