Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DrakensonofDrakonis

Why Call of Duty

28 posts in this topic

I know this is more of a rant, but it's related to videogames so I figured it belonged here.

Anybody remember the days when every game was its own unique masterpiece, and the only reason people had to argue what was better between Nintendo, Playstation, and X-Box was who had the best games? Nowadays it seems like every game that comes out is exactly the same as all the others. I'm talking about Call of Duty games. Call of Duty is a videogame that is supposed to replicate 'real war' combat by allowing you to kill your enemies in one shot while you can be killed just as fast. How gameplay works? It uses online servers to get a couple dozen ten-year-olds together in a warzone. From there they run all over the place shooting at anything that moves. Alternatively they hide in a corner, do not move, and shoot anyone who enters their field of view. I call this the Call of Duty formula, and in a nutshell, the game is not fun - Not unless you count dying 20+ times in a match as fun. And say that's not you. Say you complete a match with a huge kill streak and you're at the top of the leader board. That's not an accomplishment; it just means you were luckier than everyone else.

That's really what this game is all about: Luck. Because you can kill and die so fast, there is no way for whoever is being shot at to defend themselves. The moment you're in someone's sights, you're dead, pure and simple. So what it really comes down to is who sees who first. And that might be alright if it was just you and a friend going one on one playing war games, but when everyone is running around like chickens with their heads cut off, it takes the strategy right out of the game. The only aspect of it that requires any skill is when you are running toward a building and an enemy player walks out of the front door. You both make eye contact, and at that point it comes down who is better at dodging bullets while keeping their cross-hairs on their opponent. That's the only time that any skill of any kind is required, but unfortunately 99 times out of 100 you aren't going to get killed by someone looking you in the eye; You're going to get shot from the sides or the back as if you're being attacked by raptors. 

For whatever unknown reason, Call of Duty was popular enough to merit a series competing with Final Fantasy in its numerous installments. And the only difference between any of the games is the war, the level of the graphics, and the weapon names. Sure some of them have a campaign mode that was obviously crapped out at the last minute because the only guy with common sense in the office said they needed a single-player mode. But the only enjoyable part of the game is always short with little creativity and a generic story-line because the game's main draw is supposed to be its multiplayer modes.

Then it gets even worse with all of the spin off games that go by different names but are still the same exact game. These are games like Battlefield, Battlefront, Titanfall, Dawn of War Eternal Crusade, and Overwatch. These are all games that use the Call of Duty formula, and while they may take their own spin on things, their core gameplay is still who-sees-who first, meaning they all suffer the exact same problems and whatever fun could have been found in these games is sucked out because of it. This is a shame for games like Titanfall and Overwatch where they clearly have potential to be something great. But it's straight up insulting for games like Dawn of War 40k and Star Wars Battlefront, which have predecessor games of their own that are both unique and fun to play.

I suppose I wouldn't be quite as upset with Call of Duty if it was just one lame game series among a bunch of enjoyable games to choose from. But these days it seems like 9 out of every 10 games that come out are trying to use the Call of Duty formula, so now there's no variation available. I realize the formula is popular - and if school taught me anything it's that if something is popular it most likely isn't good - and I realize it's not the only formula that is constantly getting replicated - such as the Final Fantasy and Arcade Fighter formulas - but there's nothing in it for the people who want to feel like a badass shooting and slashing their way through a battlefield like a super-soldier. For competitors there's no way to feel like you're really better at the game than someone else because it's all luck and no strategy. And there's nothing to enjoy from an artistic standpoint because there is not a lot of effort put into the environment or the story. 

That's my problem with games these days. And let me tell you, it really makes me appreciate the rare gems we do get from time to time. Thank goodness Bethesda and Bungie are still around creating fun games.

I can't stand COD or Halo for that matter (although the latter seems to have kind of disappeared a little). Mainly it's because I'm just not into FPS games, I find them obnoxious and boring, but I also just find  COD.....overplayed and full of screaming preteens who talk a lot of crap but can't actually back it up in real life. I've been around others playing the game and typically there really is just a bunch of yelling and luck involved.

I'm back to Witcher 3 right now since I'm so close to the end and wanting to wrap it up, see what happens, plus there's a combination of strategy and hack and slash that goes into the gameplay. I actually get satisfaction out of what I achieve in the game, like with DAI (which I still have 2 files to finish up before DA4 finally comes out).

I feel your pain on the gaming front. Everything is either not interesting enough to play or so overdone that it's not worth bothering with except for the few rare games that crop up.

Thank you Rhannan. I can't judge one way or another on Halo since I'm a Playstation player myself, but your exactly right in your description of the majority of people who play these games.

I actually went back to playing Fallout 4 recently - since the Destiny 2 server keeps crashing on me >:( - and I love the gameplay, the story and how beautiful and creative the world is. I've been hearing a lot of good things about Witcher 3, never played it myself, but from what I hear I'm sure I'll get around to it some day.

I'm a Playstation gamer as well though I've had friends with other systems. Interesting trying to switch from one to the other. I played Fable 2 a while back and was fairly into it so I went looking for it recently because I didn't get to finish. I could have sworn that game was on PS3 but apparently not and I'm not about to get an Xbox just so I can play that. But that leads me to another issue I have with games these days: all of the major games, and a lot of the minor ones, are on multiple systems. When I started seeing this I was just like huh? Doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of collecting systems and being a fan of a particular one? Nintendo has been pretty good about keeping its games to itself but I swear half of the PS games are on Xbox.

Witcher 3 is a lot of fun and a long game, especially if you are into doing all of the side quests. I know there are some trophies I will just never get because that's not my game style but there is still a lot to accomplish.

Yep I own a 360 solely for the fable series, original fable is also on steam. 

Fps games lost interest for me a long time ago.

A lot of people like twitch gaming, it's a test of reflexes, but definitely not my type of game

I would probably die in a reflex game as I can get kind of tunnel-visioned in games lol.

I would say that I do like the games that cross platforms so that if you see a game you want to play, you don't have to buy a new system for it. But I guess it does take away from the companies trying to be their own unique thing. Heck, the past couple generations of systems has just been Sony and Microsoft trying to do the exact same thing as one another, but slightly better.

Of course, Nintendo owns a lot of my system variety for the fewest games between them. I have an N64 for Donkey Kong, Mariokart, and Star Wars Pod Racer. I've got a 3DS for the gen 6 and 7 Pokemon games, and the only reason I have a Nintendo Wii is to play Smash Bros Brawl.

Yep, FPS and reflex games, I'm the guy who scores so low on the leader board that I'm beaten by some of the people who didn't even pick up their remote. Except for Titanfall 2. I don't know why I can frequently make the top 3 in that game. I guess I just get lucky, or maybe I'm good enough with the titan part of the game that it makes up for my bad K/D ratio.

I am potentially about to get a 3DS from one of my co-workers. He and his wife got one for each of their sons last year for Christmas and they don't play them so the systems are practically brand new. If I can get one of them I plan to get probably two of the Pokemon games. Definitely Platinum again, because I was having so much fun with it, and probably Pokemon Sun because I can get my Vulpix without having to trade unless I can manage to find someone with a Vulpix I can trade with. I want a baby though so I can raise it. Really wish it could be one of the starters :(

I got Pokemon Sun because I wanted the Vulpix as well - that and I like Lycanroc's Sun form better. My Alolan Nine-tails really saved me in the battle with the Dark Kahuna, and after dominating again in the Dragon Trial, he pretty well earned his place in my championship team.

My cousin says Scyther, Magmar, and Electabuzz would have made good starters, but I think they would be too overpowered early game and then too underpowered in the late game.

Though I prefer ORAS and X/Y, Sun/Moon was pretty fun. It's definitely the best looking of every game yet made, and the plotline is unique compared to other games. The only major problem I had with it was that through my entire playthrough of the main game it always felt like I had to be overleveled or else I was underleveled. The Dark Kahuna and Ground Kahuna pretty much swept me even when my lowest leveled Pokemon was two or three levels stronger than their ace, so I had to level grind and try again. I honestly think it's because the gen 7 roster is so slow, and few of them are tanky enough to take an effective hit. Mix that with the A.I. frequently having moves on their Pokemon that are super effective against types that would be super effective on them and the rock-paper-scissor game is pretty much scrapped. Thank goodness Umbreon has high defense stats because every Alakazam in that game knew Focus Blast >:(

Dang! Well I will certainly give it a shot once I have acquired my system. At first I didn't care for Alolan Vulpix; I mean, c'mon, it's always been a fire-type and it just seemed so wrong for it to be turned into an ice-type. But I watched a few episodes of the show and omg SO CUTE! I fell in love lol. My Espeon in Platinum (on my first attempt at a play-through anyway) was always overpowered. Rarely did I have a problem defeating an opponent in a few hits or less unless it was something that happened to be strong against psychic-types. Loved my Espeon and I hated having to get rid of my game and system.

I love Eevee and all its evolutions - or eeveelutions as I call them. They are just so cute ^^ Caught nine of them in Sun so I could have a full set. I think all of the Eeveelutions are top-tier Pokemon. Just in gen 1 I was looking at statistics, and Jolteon is one of the strongest Electric types of the generation, beaten only by Zapdos.

I haven't watched the show much. It hasn't captured me as well as I would have hoped, and maybe that's because I started watching it straight after binge watching XYZ. That whole series was so good that it's almost painful to think Sun and Moon followed it. 

Yea it was the first time I've watched any Pokemon seasons since...wow, um, Johto? No, that's not right. Since....I watched the one where you choose between Cindaquil, Totodail, and whatever the other one was. I think that may have been the last season I really watched much of. Could have been the one with Blaziken actually. I do love Eevee and it's eeveelutions. I think Jolteon was my favorite from the original three; it's hard to choose from Espeon and Umbreon I just used the former so much in my game because it was so powerful. I did make sure to get Glaceon and Leafeon though for my collection. I wanted a Growlithe, too, but I don't think I actually had gotten to the point where I could find one in Platinum, just my Vulpix, which I still wish you could get earlier on in the game. It would probably be my lead.

Chikorita, and that is Johto. Blaziken was introduced in that season, but its basic form Torchic, as well as Treecko and Mudkip are all Gen 3 Hoenn starters.

I watched the full seasons of Gen 1, Gen 3, and Gen 6, and some of Gen 2, and I can honestly say every generation is pretty much the same thing with the same whiny Ash, flaming James, side characters who don't know what a Jelly Donut looks like, and the entire generation - if not every episode in the generation - shares the same plot. The only thing that changes is the cast of Pokemon that are shown off, so if you've seen one season you've seen them all. I completely skipped over Gen 4 and 5, so I don't know where the transition point was, but Gen 6 was actually really good. It was more of what we've seen before, but it had enough newness to it to merit mentioning. Ash isn't whiny anymore, he's actually a good trainer in more than just his mind. The side characters have their own story arcs and are more than just cheerleaders, and this is the first time I actually thought Ash would win the Pokemon League. Even the end when the entire group splits up was done well. Normally it's just 'bye, see you in a season or two!' but the ending to XYZ almost made me cry for how well it was done.

Jolteon was my pick of the original three as well! But Umbreon is my favorite out of all of them. I was actually really amazed at how powerful Leafeon is. The one I've got knows leaf blade which has a high chance of scoring a critical hit - which with his high attack stat means he can pretty much one hit KO anything that doesn't resist him - and I got him up to maximum affection so he crits pretty much every time.

Arcanine is my favorite Pokemon ever! I like the ones that are cute or powerful, and this big, fluffy, fire dog is the best of both worlds. Growlithe is available on the first island of Sun and Moon, so if you want one, play around in the tall grass on rout 3 for a while.

Yea the seasons were pretty repetitive, the rinse and repeat sort. I'm glad to hear one of them was different.

Sounds like my Espeon and your Leafeon were done the same way. Maxed out affection, high stats, one move that has a high chance of crit hits. Espeon was my powerhouse against anything that didn't resist it (her, if I remember correctly).

It was always a tie between Vulpix/Ninetales and Growlithe/Arcanine for me. Clearly I have a fire preference lol but I always ended up becoming a well-rounded trainer. Actually, I really like psychic and ghost types, but getting one can be kind of iffy so I was pretty happy when I was able to get Espeon fairly early in Platinum. I don't think I have a particular ghost one that I favor anymore but I used to like Gengar even though I never had one.

Thanks for the tip! I will definitely be doing that lol. Gotta have the fluffy puppy!

You're Welcome

Nothing wrong with having preferred types. I personally prefer fire-types and dark-types - so when I learned Incineroar was a fire/dark type, I had to pick it for my starter. It may make it harder to get through a game to have two or three team members of the same type, but if you're the type of person who likes to play these games for the sake of having a Pokemon adventure, then build up your team however you want. Arcanine and Ninetales are hard ones to pick between, but I'm pretty sure the early games made the choice for you. You could get Vulpix/Ninetales in Blue and Yellow, while Growlithe/Arcanine were Red exclusive.

I've always preferred Haunter to Gengar. I know its stats are pitiful by comparison, but I just think Haunter looks cooler. I put an Everstone on my Spearow for the exact same reason XD My cousin and I did a few trades recently to get some of those trade evolution Pokemon we wanted but have never been able to use before. He got a Gengar and an Alakazam, while I got Machamp and Scizor, and we both got a Trevenant out of the deal.

Is Platinum your favorite game? Or do you prefer another? I watched a walkthrough of it a couple months ago and I love the way they did the Distortion World where you get Giratina

Let me take a look at Team Eevee. They've all got maximum affection, and these are just the ones that I took out of the box to make a 6 cutie team out of.

Vaporeon (Neptune) The Tank. Knows Hydro Pump, Water Pulse, Aqua Ring, Last Resort.

Jolteon (Zeus) The Glass Cannon. Knows Thuder Fang, Discharge, Swift, Thuder

Flareon (Inferno) The Other Glass Cannon. Knows Fire Spin, Flare Blitz, Lava Plume, Quick Attack

Umbreon (Shadow) The Ringer. Knows Shadow Ball, Dark Pulse, Psychic, Moonlight

Leafeon (Floris) The Brawler. Knows Leaf Blade, Giga Drain, Grass Whistle, Last Resort

Sylveon (Silver) The Mage. Knows Swift, Draining Kiss, Moonblast, Last Resort. 

Edited by DrakensonofDrakonis

Nice team! I didn't get to making an Eevee team but I had definitely been considering it.

Out of the few that I've played Platinum was my favorite. I don't think that I ever actually got to finish a game but I did get pretty close on Ruby. Stumble across "Red" and went to town trying to beat him but I don't recall ever succeeding. Pretty sure the last I played that game I was running around leveling and trying to work on getting all of the pokemon available. The distortion world was pretty interesting but if you don't take in a successful team on the first go and you miss getting Giratina then you pretty much have to restart from before entering in case you need to swap anyone out. Once you're in there it's pretty hard to leave until you're done if I recall. And there is another pokemon to get at a different point in the game that I want to say is a legendary. You have to drain a lake to get to it.

I do prefer the look of Haunter but Gengar is just more powerful. I have always kind of disliked how there are certain pokemon you can only get via trades or in certain versions. I think I had silver at one point and I had red; I don't think I actually managed to capture Growlithe in Red but it disappointed me when I found out that I wasn't going to be able to get my Ninetales/Arcanine duo. I think my ideal team at the time was those two, Jolteon, Vaporeon, Dragonair. and Raichu. I know Dragonite is super powerful but Dragonair is just so much more elegant.

When I was a kid, the only Pokemon game I had was Yellow, and I could never get past Brock no matter how hard I tried. So I never picked up another game until Y came around and I saw it looked really cool. And since I no longer had the strategic mindset of a ten year old, I actually beat the game, so that felt good.

I like Giratina, he's easily my favorite legendary from Gen 4. From the sound of things though capturing him is worse than trying to capture Deoxys in ORAS. I'd probably just throw a master ball at him though, that's my solution for all legendary Pokemon that show up after the game's made me do a few difficult challenges and hasn't allowed me to save before encountering the legendary.

Version specific Pokemon: The way Game Freak milks money out of its customers. Pokemon that evolve through trade: The way Game Freak makes us feel bad for not having friends T.T

That actually sounds like a good team. It may not have all avenues covered to be great against everything, but it does have a counter for anything that would be good against something on your team. I also like that it doesn't include the two stapels everybody puts on their teams: Charizard and Dragonite. True you have Dragonair, but Dragonair is actually pretty cool. Dragonite is just an overpowered piece of trash. I would actually take Garbodor - a literal pile of trash - before Dragonite.

My Ideal Gen 1 team would be Arcanine, Scyther, Gyarados, Jolteon, Haunter, and Snorlax.

I forgot about Rapidash, I always wanted that one, too. A flaming horse!

I think Red was the first one I got and I did get pretty far into it but never finished. My problem with legendaries is that they either pop up at level 1 so you have to be really careful not to 1 hit KO or they show up overpowered. Sometimes they will show up around your level but it has seemed kind of rare in my limited experience. Master ball is great but there can be more than one legendary in a game and then what do you do? There's only one master ball per game (unless they changed that) so I usually try not to waste it.

Charizard is kind of cool, I'll admit, but just not really top on my list for a team. Dragonite just seems so dopey.

I feel like after a while they started getting carried away with the names of pokemon. The base ones tend to run the same and it can get boring (Poochyena, Houndour, Rockruff, etc). And some of the cat ones they come up with are....they make me make this face and it's like wth lol. Skitty and Litten are cute and I always liked Meowth/Persian, but the evolved forms and some of the other random ones were so weird and ugly to me. I will say I don't like Alolan Persian. Alolan Meowth I'm good with, but Persian made me wonder what they were thinking.

It's true you only get 1 Master ball throughout the entire campaign, and yes, there are multiple legendaries in each game. I guess it just involves some research into which legends are in the game you're playing and then decide to use it on whichever one you think will be the hardest to catch. I think I screwed up in my Sun playthrough because I used the Master Ball on Necrozma since I heard he had the lowest catch rate of any Pokemon - which in Sun and Moon is saying something since you pretty much need an Ultraball to catch a Caterpie - but it turns out I should have saved it for Tapu Fini since she has the same capture rate as Necrozma, and she can heal herself. Super annoying >:(

I didn't like a lot of the Alolan forms. People are always making fun of Alolan Exeggutor because of its long neck, but by comparison it's probably one of the better looking ones. Some did look cool, like Marowak and Ninetails, and I even thought Meowth and Rattata had a neat design transformation that fit what the Pokemon are supposed to be, but Persian and Raticate look so stupid. It's like they gave Persian Garfield's head and Raticate is preparing for winter. A lot of the new Pokemon designs actually made me hesitant about getting the new game. Depending on what they do with Ultra Sun and Moon, I might just skip it.

I did like the Z crystals - though I heard they were all about Z in these games because they never made Pokemon Z to tie X and Y together like Platinum ties together Diamond and Pearl - but I prefer Mega Evolution. They both look cool, but I prefer having my Pokemon go Super Saiyan for the duration of the battle over a Final Smash that can only be used once per match and can be diluted by crappy moves like Protect. 

Yea I went ahead and pre-ordered Ultra Sun since it was just as much to get Sun. Seriously thought about picking up Ocarina of Time since they have it for the 3DS. May still go back and get it tbh. And now I will probably be getting a 360 from the same co-worker I'm get the 3DS from. It won't be until about Christmas or just after but he's selling it because he's getting the XBox One for his kids for Christmas. Man, if I do get it from him I am picking up DAO for it because I still haven't gotten to play it. My PS3 and TV decided to stop speaking to each other right after I got the game and was about to start playing it.

Ultra sun and moon tomorrow!!!!! Woop can't wait

Got mine! And the 3DS lol. Soon to have a 360 on which to play the very awesome DAO with the full expansion pack that I picked up today (I got the last one in the store ;) ).

Awwww yeah, been sucked in, got to many games on the go atm, assassins creed origins is a freaking massive game 

I've heard good things about ACO from a friend who's been playing it.

I picked out Litten for my started(because fire-type and cat) but I am finally on Rte 2 so I am scoping for my Growlithe right now. That Furfrou one....looks like a particular dog breed I can't think of the name for right now. Man I really want my Vulpix and an Eevee!

I'm going back and forth on DAI between my nightmare file and my mage file. I messed up on my mage file though: I'm a Dalish elf and there's this one mission where you're supposed to send aid to your clan because they're having issues, well it turns out that one of those options leaves your clan mostly dead and the rest scattered. I was like wtf that's some damn bs and you don't even get a special cutscene with your romance partner to make up for it. And I'm guessing it eliminates the potential missions that follow so there's that. I'm sad though. If I were my Inquisitor I'd be like eff this imma go after these guys and the dude who failed to help out in time. We're going to have some words, and by words I mean I'll be throwing lightning bolts at everyone.

If you do it right you can save everyone I believe, I'm pretty sure I did

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0