Rhannan

Riddles in the Library

62 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Yaakovana Tovah said:

She'll get it...

...eventually lol xD I'm gonna give you a hint and say it's right next door.

Lol well there is an argument for the subconscious and unconscious selves being two different things. So I'm going to hazard my next guess with the unconscious self, being that I often disagree with my unconscious, which is usually in charge of dreaming time.

2 hours ago, Rhannan said:

Lol well there is an argument for the subconscious and unconscious selves being two different things. So I'm going to hazard my next guess with the unconscious self, being that I often disagree with my unconscious, which is usually in charge of dreaming time.

Are they? I'll have to look into that some time. I've never really seen a difference from what I can remember in my lucid states, but anything is possible I suppose.

Alas, no lol I'd recommend re-reading it if you haven't and trying again. 

Imagination? Lol XD

Adding: If I were a sphinx I probably would've eaten myself by now for not getting the answer yet.

Edited by Rhannan

LOLXD

Intelligence! 

Trying to guess with things that might fit as answers, but I'm having a very hard time rounding it down.

1 hour ago, Rhannan said:

Imagination? Lol XD

Adding: If I were a sphinx I probably would've eaten myself by now for not getting the answer yet.

Lol, nope

1 hour ago, DrakensonofDrakonis said:

LOLXD

Intelligence! 

Trying to guess with things that might fit as answers, but I'm having a very hard time rounding it down.

I see that quite clearly xD

Alright, you guys are throwing darts, which has been funny, but I think it's time I just give the answer xD

It is..........Memory.

Hm....probably would have been my next guess. They all connect to each other in some ways that get tangled up at times. Anywho, you may pose your next riddle, Yaakovana.

2 minutes ago, Rhannan said:

Hm....probably would have been my next guess. They all connect to each other in some ways that get tangled up at times. Anywho, you may pose your next riddle, Yaakovana.

Very well.

Hmn...

I can be deep and I can be shallow. A poison to the youthful, a panacea for the old. I am as arrogant, as you are intelligent. What am I?

@Yaakovana Tovah If memory is the answer then that's the answer, but do you mind explaining how it's the answer to that riddle? Maybe it's just me, but I can't make any connection.

And for this new riddle, I'm guessing Pride.

7 hours ago, DrakensonofDrakonis said:

@Yaakovana Tovah If memory is the answer then that's the answer, but do you mind explaining how it's the answer to that riddle? Maybe it's just me, but I can't make any connection.

Not at all :) I'll break it piece by piece.

1. I hold you close.

Human memory is beautiful, but also terrible. Memory holds our good memories and our own bad ones. Most aren't aware just how much our motor-functions are dependant on memory, mostly muscle-memory ingrained by repetition, but is retained by subconscious memory. Forgetting key things is the line between a reasonably healthy person and someone who is permanently disabled, hence with diseases like Alzheimer's and dementia.

2. I show you the way.

Most are only tentatively aware how much memory affects one's personality. People who have experienced trauma however, are much more aware of this path, because with trauma, one's whole mind and personality are affected. This is good and bad. A person with a lot of good memories and good events in their lives may be more subject to a more peaceful or relatively non-violent life. People with excessive trauma and emotional difficulties, are drawn to darker paths. That's the generalization of it, not the rule.

3. Some call me a liar, but you know the truth. I can't be made to testify, but everyone calls me into question.

These two statements were purposefully built in to reinforce the nature of memory. Depending on one's own capacity for their memories, as well as the receptiveness and memory of their peers, one may find themselves being reliable or unreliable. It's a very slippery slope. People often taken advantage of a lack of memory for specific details that they believe pertinent when others don't and decide that you do not remember anything, when the opposite is true. In most court systems, an eyewitness account is not reliable without evidence and sometimes multiple eyewitness accounts become too conflicting and can be entirely ruled out.

5.If I am not your friend, I can only be your enemy. What am I?

Human memory is faulty. It's prone to damage and disease. Trauma can have a lasting impact, even altering one's own memory to suit their condition and their experiences. There's also well known phenomenon, when people lie consistently enough about a specific detail, they can convince themselves it is the truth and can thwart theft detecting methods. Then you have people like us. People with internal mental issues. Issues that tell us that we are something else, that we have memories of events and lives that we shouldn't. On paper it's fantasy and disease. To the people who experience this, it's something more and any combination of these things can either make a person indestructible in their resolve or can make them distrust themselves so much, they can't even trust their memories.

Case and point, I have many of these issues and believe in my past lives and my Kin-self being revealed, but I distrust my short-term memory so much from experience, I'll do a task I've already done simply to make sure it's down. Locking my car three to four times to be sure I locked it or if a person double checks my work, I'll know I've already done it, but I'll still go back once, maybe twice to be sure I in fact did it.

Hope that clarifies :)

7 hours ago, DrakensonofDrakonis said:

And for this new riddle, I'm guessing Pride.

Swing and a miss xD

Thwart lie detection methods*

Oh yeah, theft of memory! Believe it!