Simara

Is anybody home?

49 posts in this topic

Is it just be me or has the castle been very quiet the past many months...apart from a few long time members posting and doing their best to "keep things alive"? I do not know how many members of the castle there are here now, but most seemed to once have parked here (to use an ancient MSN chat room term) and then just left for good...leaving "the car" behind. And I wonder why? This forum is very friendly compared to some rival Otherkin forums (most of them belong to the past now), there has only been very little fluff here and the posts are well written and informative...and yet apart from a handful of members, no one is replying to them!

I have tried to re-visit other Otherkin forums, but most are gone...including the once very active and huge online Vampire communities, but as I wrote, most of them are gone now: is this down to FB being the number one social media platform with like a zillion Otherkin groups or are those Otherkin who are awakened just bored stiff of online life in general?

I think it would be a damn shame if Otherkin forums like this one will be a thing of the past in a not so distant future! I may not have liked Otherkin.com very much in the latter days of me being a member there, but it helped me do much during the first year of my awakening! I clearly remember the first time I browsed the forum of Otherkin.com...my feeling was " This is me...I have "comed home" ", and at that time I had absolutely no idea why I felt this way!!!! I was doing some research for a Vampire aqquaintancd at the time and just googled "real vampires"  and stumbled over Otherkin.com, but had no clue about Otherkin...and certainly not about The Draestari!!!!! To me at that time I was a human, however a very odd one...one out of sync, not quite on the same plane as the rest of humanity...like a person looking through a window into another world (the "normal" human one), that is how I felt before my awakening began and before I discovered Otherkin.com...I even wrote a silly poem about it:lol: But enough said: Otherkin forums for multible races of Otherkin is crucial for slumberes and not every slumbere is on FB...most also want to hide their Otherkin identity from the rest of the world, which means that they must make "fake" profiles on FB...something that I have been told is not taken to kindly by the FB police. But in order to keep a forum up and running, members must be active!

To all "old" members: I miss reading your post....and laughing, debating, and arguing with you online!

To all "new or unknown" members: nobody has ever been treated unfairly here. People are really nice here and nobody will "yell" at you for reopening old debates: new thougths and inputs are always welcomed. You do not have to be an "Otherkin expert" to join in debates here, so do not be afraid to ask "silly questions"!  Please post! :rolleyes:

I'm still home! It's just hard to be active when no one else is :/

I'm usually home, in one way or another.

It's interesting, but whenever I look at the active users page there are at least a dozen guests, often viewing topics and not just AI-ing around.

I've gone into a new to Roll at work, I don't get as much time as I used to to get on, also. Jalyndr we both found otherwise under exactly the same circumstances, only I found the old castle.

I think the ease of Facebook compared to forums is what is doing it. 

It's sad but true

We go through stages like this tho, it's quiet then explodes for a month then is quiet again

*hears some one yelling "Boo-biddy-boo-biddy-boop"* Well, at least somebody is home :lol:

I understand that everyday life keeps most from being very active in The Castle, but still as Rhannan stated..it is hard to keep things flowing here, when hardly anyone is active. But hopefully this is just a quiet period...even though it seems to have lasted for a long time now.

To be fair, it is a testament to the staying power of a forum to have people come back after it lays dormant for extended periods of time. Especially if the regulars keep it alive. I've seen a few sites crash down even with heavy traffic but no one staying after more than an introduction.

I'm here. Though not as often as I used to be, just too, too busy right now.

Great new name Simara. I love it. :smile:

I know how you feel, I have got heaps of translations to do. So I will be a bit absent, too:8):

Yea I am still settling in to the new place right now, lots to do with work and probably going to need to start looking for another job or at least a different position within the current company. The state of the place isn't bad it's just....stressful for us both to still be trying to get settled in to the point where we can get back to doing the things we love. Really need to get back into a routine and I definitely need to not only get back to my art and writing but I need to get back to delving into my kin self and my spiritual aspects. Too much of that has fallen to the side over the last month and a half or so with everything going on. And I'm trying to be present here and available for if anyone needs me but I'm just not on my computer a whole lot right now with the way work and stuff is. You'd think I'd be on more since I can afford to go to bed and get up later but nope. And FB...ugh....sucks up so much of my time having it on my phone -_____-

No worries Rhannan, take the time you need, don't push yourself :)

Yes, just take it easy, Rhannan...do not get all stressed :smile:

Take care of yourself first, then square away your house, then your corner of the sky.

Things are finally starting to come together here. I've dropped a lot of money between getting things for the place (a couch since we didn't have one) and then I made the trip for my grandma's funeral which was long and expensive. But we're settling in. Still have to get to the point where I am doing more art and stuff again, making time for it, but little by little I am getting back to it.

Sorry about your grandmother :rip_1: I hope she passed away peacefully.

Thanks...from what I understand she did. It was hard and I don't think my grandpa will be too far behind her; he's a couple years older than she was and he has had a lot of health problems. Losing her hit him really hard.

Now it's back to making things settle here and getting everything in place. I had planned to game tonight but between going to the store and his lunch/dinner break, then doing a couple things that needed to be taken care of, I've pretty much run out of time. He'll be home some time during the next hour or so and tomorrow we have plans to take the mini-cation we had been banking on having last weekend. Somehow we both ended up with this weekend off even though both of us were supposed to work Saturday. Me I can understand but he has a set rotation so someone went in and changed it so he could have this weekend off. We really need it even though we'll spend the whole thing running around again most likely.

There seems to be a lot of trend and fashion involved in what happens on the internet. Being otherkin seems to have been "cool" for a while  but has become less fashionable and dwindled somewhat recently. Searches no longer bring up factual information but seem to point to the urban dictionary or wikipedia, some point to tv programmes or worse still to games instead of the original material.

Add to that the generalised ridicule supplied by many forum goers or the insistence that they alone are the only real otherkin and its quite easy to understand why young ones who are trying to find themselves.... either give up and let it go or go onto places like tumblr where they don't necessarily have to interact with other people.

Rather sad really.

Zygo :flame:

@Rhannan I hope you have a nice time this weekend, you deserve it :smile:

@Zygopterix I think that you might be right. Too many Otherkin forums during the last two decades have been extremely arrogant and not very nice towards the new awakened Otherkin, so yes...sadly many have been scared off. And now all the posers have begun to reveal themselves: I can imagine that being a newly awakened Vampire in the early 2000's must have been fascinating. The one Vampire club and event popping up after the other with charismatic and self acclaimed real vampire leaders like Don Henrie and Father Sebastiaan who fed openly on the front line...both now deny that vampirism even exsist!!!! So that must be a real blow to any Vampire, who used to look up to them...but I am not judging anyone, we all make mistakes! Just because these to so called leaders turned out to be frauds does NOT mean that every other Vampire is! I am just glad that the Elven community has never grown that big...life can be lonely at times, but at least no one is claiming to be a leader!

Is there anyway that we can "promote" this castle to all the, most likely, lonely Otherkin...esspecially the newly awakened? Thoughts anyone?????

@Simara unfortunately promoting this castle, could ruin it, but then it needs to findable to all those seeking it. Bit of a catch 22. 

@Rhannan I hope things get easier for you soon. My grandfather lasted a few years after my grandma, but he was never truely the same. 

Edited by Mog

@Mog I can understand your concern. But we have had more than our fair share of trolls here...and they have yet to ruin this castle. So I think the risk is worth taking, esspecially if this can help the slumberes and newly awakened.

I don't know if there is a 'safe way to advertise the castle. I just figure if we meet any friends online or in real life that are having their awakening, or are just curious about Otherkin in general we could refer them here.

I pop in occasionally, and my do so a little bit more now.  I have been dealing with a lot of heavy heavy stuff, and unfortunately, I've had yet more piled on me over the past couple of months and most days, it is simply just too much to bear. and would rather just retreat as opposed to bringing the entire room down. It is becoming more apparent though, that perhaps more social interaction, be it online or otherwise, might be just the thing. 

@DrakensonofDrakonis That is always a good idea. I have done that a few times myself. Unfortunately that was around the time when sites like Otherkin.com and Vampires.nu were in chaos...name calling, elitetism, and in general treating members badly. But people just lost interest and began communicating more privately via e-mail. However not all was bad, at the time the big Otherkin communities of the early noughties began going down the drain, yours truly and a Werecat that I had met online on Otherkin.net formed European Otherkin Society or EOS...we even had one offline member meetup and it was fun as long as it lasted :smile: But my advice is that unless you are already a couple as our dear @Velvet Darkness or @Zygopterix then getting intimate with your co-founder is a bad idea...esspecially if you are a stubborn and freedom loving Elf and he is an over protective and slightly possesive Werecat :weregirl:

@Vaerynn I hope that things will get better for you soon *hugs*

That is true Simara.

Free elf best elf

*pokes head in* Anyone here? I made brownies and hot cocoa.... *sets tray down on a table and flops into a big, comfy chair by the fireplace* Despite it being way too hot here for my liking (90F right now but it feels like 115F) all I can think about it the coming autumn and cool weather. Too bad we don't really get much of an autumn where I am. I'm definitely about to do a snow dance so at the very least by the time it gets here it'll be cooler even though it won't still be all winter-y cold.