Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Rhannan

Adventures in Nightmare Mode

14 posts in this topic

So I beat Inquisition a couple of months ago now, I think (time has been a little weird since going back to work), and I did decide to replay it for the awesome platinum trophy that you get for getting all of the trophies in the main game. Playing in nightmare mode is the best way to round it all off since it'll grant me the trophy for hard mode as well so long as I don't drop the difficulty during the game. Now, I want to get all of the trophies but that means doing all of the trials and there is one that, when I was reading up on what actually needs to be done to earn it, specifically says "for obvious reasons" it needs to be done on casual mode. I can understand that. Honestly I might do a third run on casual so I can do all of the trials that I can't get on nightmare.

But let me tell you. Holy shizznits. Inquisition is the first game I've done on nightmare mode and it is definitely challenging. I LOVE IT! It just sucks that I have to run back to a camp after most battles and I have died a lot. I mean a LOT. I still ended up a little over powered for one major quest but then when I got to the next one I got most of the way through and then got stuck at the end with one of the bosses. I actually had to go online and look for some advice so I didn't have to go back to a save before I started so I could level; really didn't want to do that because I had already finished everything that I could without moving on. Mainly I just needed another supply cache and I ended up finding it by accident so I survived! But really a lot of fun. I found the game challenging on normal but way better on nightmare! I'm just kind of wondering if the levels max out the same in nightmare because the last couple of battles in the Trespasser DLC were actually fairly hard even with being maxed out and having pretty much the best equipment I could get at that point. I'm actually considering trying a few other games on nightmare at some point. I still need to get Origins and play that but utilizing the DA Keep was actually pretty cool because I could input my choices from the second game and have things be all shiny for me and line up.

Share your nightmare experiences and advice! Feel free to ask questions as well!

Nightmare, Vivian is your friend, her last minute res and fully heal everyone, and her shields are indispensable, team that with the reaver guy as your tank, he heals himself as well. Kill dragons, get best gear.

I'm actually sticking with my main party from before (Solas, Dorian, and Iron Bull) and so far it's working well. Except for that one time where I went to go into a new area right after I got to Skyhold and didn't realize that it unequipped my armor for no reason and I initially couldn't figure out why I was taking so much damage. I love using Iron Bull as my tank, he's awesome! I just kind of don't like Vivienne so I only recruit her for trophy and quest purposes. Something about her just...peeves me.

I understand, but her heals, shields and mega res are unbeatable.

I never really utilized her knight-enchanter tree. Think I ran around with her in my party once for giggles but she and Cole were nitpicking at each other and I was just like ugh stfu -___- I think for my next run (because I have to get all of those trophies lol) I'm going to actually try being a mage. I've run around as Solas a few times and I've started switching to him when rifts are spawning their second round so I can use dispel and knock off a couple of demons before they fully appear. Really useful once I figured out how to use it properly it's just that if you die in the fight when you go back to the rift and everything respawns it's not always the same stuff and not always in the same spot. Kept going through this one that was a pain in the butt because it had a revenant and a few terrors and those revenants hit hard one their own so I kept trying to get it with dispel before it could spawn but it was never in the same spot lol. If I do end up being a mage in my third run I'm not actually sure if I'll go knight-enchanter or rift mage for my specialization. I wish you could do more than one like in DA2. I might give Viv another shot if I haven't pissed her off enough to leave by then lol XD

i always play mage,

I only suggest her for that res ability, it has saved my bacon so many times i have lost count. her character grinds while stuck up never really bothers m, i don't use cole at all tho so that might be why.

I've never played a mage, not even in DA2. I actually ended up not using any mages after a while in my current DA2 run because they're just not that useful in that game. I'm tempted to go ahead and start my third Inquisition run now but then I might get myself mixed up between the games lol. I don't think Viv gets along with most of the other people. Cassandra maybe, possibly even Varric and Iron Bull, but I think that's about it. I feel like she and Dorian would be trying to kill each other instead of our enemies lol. Cole doesn't get much party time, or anyone else for that matter, unless it's a personal quest. The best party banter comes from Dorian, Bull, and Solas. Literally, amazing.

But anywho! That revive ability is awesome, especially since it's an aoe spell, so long as you don't upgrade it. I've used it multiple times when getting my butt handed to me.

I want to go ahead and get DA Origins so I can start that, probably run around as a mage, but a friend who's played it advised me not to try being a blood mage on my first go. Thoughts?

Origins is good. but keep in mind its more strategical then both the following ones. 

They only say that because blood magic in origins time period is the biggest no no, if people know your a blood mage it makes your conversations much harder. 

But i love origins, get the edition with all the DLC and get Shale, Shale = best character. I'm also a fan of Morrigan.

Wynne is the healer you will wish you could have taken into every other dragon age game ever. Oh yeah, Wynne hates blood magic with a  passion.

i dunno i just like mages, something about slinging spells that is appealing to me.

Once i build my new PC, i think i will play it again.

Edited by Mog

I like the idea of spell slinging but I also like the idea of being able to run up and use the assassinate skill and annihilate most enemies. That was my favorite rogue ability in DA2, I just wish it had a shorter cool down. I am rather fond of the lightning spells though (probably because I like thunderstorms and lightning irl) so I usually have Solas as my electricity-oriented mage and let Dorian play with fire. But I found I needed to make sure they both had at least one ice spell for when I headed towards a dragon. I think that in this one I will try to be a tad more strategical when taking on a high dragon and rearrange my spells and abilities earlier. I didn't catch on to doing that until later in the game with some of the harder dragons. Hindsight and all that lol.

When I get origins I will definitely get the one with the DLC stuff. For 2 and Inquisition he bought me the regular versions and I had to buy and download the DLCs; totally worth it but expensive. Probably will order the game off of Amazon, I think you can still find it new on there lol. I am excited to get to it partly because I want to see where it all started but also for the characters. Morrigan interests me and I would definitely like to find out more about the others.

I've heard PC and console are pretty different.

I played origins on PC. i think it would be far better on PC, controls just aren't made for PS3. 

Sarahs teleport and backstab ability is the most damaging in the game, shields and healing make your party last longer tho.

I read somewhere online that on PC you have access to more abilities and spells at a time than with PS3, which would make sense. Seriously thinking about getting it but I am not sure my computer has enough oomph for gaming, although it does have something on here for it so maybe it would be ok. Might just depend on how intense the game is as far as graphics and such. But then that's probably the last thing I need lol. I'll end up gaming on my consoles all day and then when he comes home I'll just start gaming on my laptop. It would never end!!! XD

so, you can check. on the game in steam or at the shop, on the back it will have the system requirements. you can match those to the spec of your PC to see if it can handle it. Origins is an old game now, so you have a good chance that your PC will be able to run it if you bought it in the last couple years

Edited by Mog

Alright I'll have to check it out. I got this computer back in....I want to say 2015 maybe. Could've been 2014.

It's been long enough since my last post that I don't think it'll count as double-posting so....

I did get DAO finally and it's been a lot of fun but I still need to finish it. DLCs are awesome!

I know I put this somewhere else but I did beat Witcher 3, DLCs included, and a couple of weeks ago I decided to restart the game on a harder difficulty. It's not nightmare-level, just hard (I believe the game dubs it "death march"), but I must have slipped up because it's not that difficult so far. I actually chose a new game+, which I've not had the opportunity to do before and I wanted to see what would happen. Imagine: I'm starting out level 56, everything is scaled to match me but the kicker is that I have everything from my inventory that wasn't quest-related or in storage in my previous game. So, basically, I have grandmaster-crafted armor and two of the best swords in the entire game, plus all of my oils and bombs are already maxed out. I fought a monster that was almost 10 levels above me and defeated it easily. SO. Part of me wants to go back to my other file, put all of the awesome equipment in my inventory, and restart again on "blood and broken bones" (aka nightmare), just to see what happens. Tempting, very tempting.

But I've been working on Skyrim and started up my Inquisition files again. Still need to beat the latter on nightmare, I just really wanted to experiment with being a mage and maybe do some of the trials. Witcher 3 is definitely worth a replay though. I think I may make some different choices in this go.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0