Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Simara

Mini houses...thoughts and ideas...

22 posts in this topic

And no, I am not refering to doll houses or wendy houses, but the green and eco friendly style of housing called "Mini houses".

The idea of mini houses is to scale down on your living area, but scale up on your creativity by designing and/or building your own home made of natural and preferebly recycled materials. There is no fixed rule to how small a house is supposed to be in order to be considered a mini house, but generally the ground foundation for a mini house should not be bigger than 500 square feet or 46 m2 and no more than two storage high. However when  it comes to creativity then there are no limits to mini houses...I have seen mini houses on wheels, mini houses in the classical Roma style, Victorian style mini houses etc.

So my first question is...could you live comfortably in a house fitting the criteria of a mini house? 

I already do! My living area is less than 215 square feet or 20m2, and both my cat and I are thriving! I usually call my home "the coziest flat in Sweden"...sometimes I wish that I could have a bit more space at hand, so that I could get an aquarium or an oven, but my life does not depend on me having neither the former or the latter.

Second question: if you got the chance to design and/or build your own mini house, what would it look like?

The construction of my mini house would be the classical Welch Roma bender tent but ground based and made of wood, yet the ornaments would be a blend of my two favorit art styles... Old Norse and Baroque.

For any need inspiration:Mini house gallery

Third question: what would be the most unique feature in your mini house?

A built in bed with a leaded window shaped like the Fae star with stained glass, installed in the roof over my bed, so that I could  lie and gaze at the stars in multiple colours.

And finally: do you think that mini houses might just be the solution to the miserable housing situation in many countries today and that the whole green approach to mini houses is a part of the solution to the environmental problems which just seem to get worse year by year?

161 square feet or 15 m2 should be enough for a single teenager/adult to thrive on ( room for a shower, kitchen, toilet not included), so an average family of two parents and two children should be able to live well in a mini house...and might have to be forced to do so in the future...at least in Scandinavia! Now I do not know what the housing situation is like in other parts of the world, but in both Sweden and Denmark it is in a shambles!!!! 15-20 years of being on a waiting list for a flat on a council estate, rooms being rented out at sky high prices and flats so expensive that no one on a normal income can afford to buy them. And yet, many people still insists of living in flats and houses the size of mansions while politicians are reluctant to give the orders for more cheap flats to be built. The population on this planet just goes on increasing and adults are forced to live with their parents...it had got to stop!!!! We all have to get used to living small...and this might seem like a lost at first. But if we could all get the chance to design our own mini house, the creativity in people would rise and you might just fall so much in love with your home that a holiday abroad each and every  year or taking a loan in a bank to move into something even "better and grander" will not seem so appealing anymore and neither will the desire to take a dip in the swimming pool or lie for hours in a hot bath tub...because in a mini house there simply isen"t space for neither. A bit of a bummer for your perhaps, but the environment will love you for it :)

Other thoughts and ideas would be really cool :) After all changes rarely begin with laws and regulations, but in the minds of people!!!!

I have about 80m2 of house, 800 odd m2 of land and its way to small for me. so short answer is no. lol

I like my things to much, and i need a place to put all my things.

80 m2?????? Just the thought of cleaning all that once a week would be enough to make me run away screaming!!!!! I hope you do like your mops and cloths :lol: I would feel uncomfortable alone in such a large place.

I live with another, we have pets, so we have to clean about twice a week to keep up with the hair. 

it only takes about an hour between the 2 of us to do all the cleaning. the place is too small for us. we need something bigger.

Here we have the "tiny house" and house truck movements, which I do like the idea. However, I need space for myself and for my stuff. I have two cats and they're already tripping over each other sometimes. I think our place is around 1100 sqft and is two floors. I have actually thought that, as much as I hate basements, I wouldn't mind having/building a house that's partially in the ground either built down into the dirt or into the side of a hill maybe. Good insulation. I would like maybe one more room than we currently have, so I could put my desk somewhere aside from the spare bedroom because we got a second sectional couch and ugh....still have the initial sectional we brought here. Plenty of seating for guests (that we never have XD).

For people who can handle less space, I think it's a great idea and would help a lot with housing issues.

~Rhannan

You two complain about not having enough space, while I am in shock about how much space you do have:lol:

I should have a space large enough to create my own private eternal autumn indoors. Forest and all :lol:

Sounds like you need a hollow deck as the one in Star Trek, Rhannan :lol:

Hm.....that would be pretty awesome. But then I would probably get in trouble with it :angel_sm017:

yeah me too. tho it would be fun

If I had a small environment friendly home... I think I would live on an airship, like one of the ships from Guns of Icarus. Why? Because I want an airship :P but it would save on land space, and I'd have my own flying home that I could use to move all my stuff around wherever I go. Besides, I don't see myself needing a lot of space anyway, just a place I can store and protect my hoard in.

Edited by DrakensonofDrakonis

airship would be ideal.

Got to admit...living in an air ship is pretty original :smile: Might make life for post delivere a bit sour, though :lol:

Pfft if you live in an airship you could just fly it to whomever you want to visit or go wherever you want. Oh! Oh! Or you could have like carrier birds for delivering mail and packages. Probably not pigeons though. Maybe ravens? They're rather large and very intelligent. That's probably how I would do it, even if I were living high up on a mountain somewhere because I probably wouldn't be able to get postal service being that out of the way XD

Yes! Living on an airship would be awesome! Courier business would be great, and it could also be used as a mobile stop-and-go diner. 

just order everything through amazon... they have delivery drones XD

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Prime-Air/b?ie=UTF8&node=8037720011 for those who aren't aware

i can live in one room so long as i have a storage area bathroom and kitchen. I'm pretty spartan when it comes to my living space tv, bed, and a table and chair are really all i need in the way of furniture.

what mine would look like is a mound with a roof sticking out covered in solar panels... maybe a wind generator... if i was going that path i would want the energy company paying me for electricity. I always liked the idea of living in one of those old missile silos (though that would be a huge house) XD i like the thought of an underground house. nothing really unique about it, i mean if i had a silo complex it would be the fact that my garage would be the old missile systems elevator... car elevator :3

if think the houses could help? i mean it could be for areas that need it. here in texas we still have plenty of room XD last time i rented a place here which was a one bedroom it was about 500-600usd im not sure how that compares to elsewhere. The problem with being the state with all the room is that everyone moves here and texas is one of the fastest growing states because of it. the city planers designed the layout of many of the cities well but with the huge influx of people public services (mass transit) cant keep up and the suburbs were made in the 60s so they were all planed for the automobile and so they are very decentralized meaning that bus and light rail would cost more then it would make. lots of room just not enough ways to get people moving here.

honestly if you want to solve a room problem horizontally then you need to build vertically high-rises are the most efficient use of land... its how hong kong has so many people XD i personally cant be that close to that many people because it would bother me. solitude is good XD

@Draken for those of us not living in the US, Delivery drones are not available to us.

@Mog True but i was only joking as the drones use a combination GPS and a downward facing camera to locate a landing site. It would confuse the drone if that target happened to be airborne XD

@Draken

I understand what you are saying about high rises and yes, I agree they are very practical. I used to live in one myself on the second top floor for almost 11 years. Inside my flat back then, I tried to make it as cosey as possible, but every time I looked out my window to the left and right there were these cosey 5 storage high buildings built in the 18th and 19th century, and then in the front was this ugly 20th century concrete high rise 100% identical to the one I lived in...I got depressed just by looking at it.

What I love about tiny houses is that not only are they environmentally friendly, but most of them are pretty and reflects the individuality of the person who lives there. I know that in the big cities in Europe and America the housing problems are so severe that lacking beautiful or creativ aesthetics is a luxery problem, but still...if I had to choose between a beautiful tiny house and commute 2 hours everyday or live in a concrete high rise and be able to walk to work with in 20 minutes, then I would choose the former.

@Jalyndre Hey never said your idea is bad. My views are different that is all ^^ I do hope that you can get one of those houses.

I kinda feel like typing up all my environmental views now XD

Drake

So do I, Draken. But I cannot see any real oppotunity for me moving into my own mini house, which I have designed myself in the forseeable future. For now I am trying to find time to draw it down on paper...but I might just scan and post it, when it is ready :smile:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0