DrakensonofDrakonis

Otherkin as Common Knowledge

36 posts in this topic

54 minutes ago, Rhannan said:

As long as the source is trustworthy and editing is minimalistic at best, just to fix grammar errors and such, than I suppose that could also work.

As a side note, Reddit seems to be an interesting place. Not exactly what I'm thinking of, but they have an Otherkin board on there I'm looking through.

One thing I think needs to be considered carefully about a blog is that being Otherkin is not a religion and as such does not technically fall into the realms of "you can believe what you like it doesnt bother me" 

You will be aiming to talk to people who do not have any concept of how this works and the nearest comparison they have is mental illness,

I truly believe that most people are not bothered one way or another until directly confronted with it, and then tolerances and points of view vary tremendously.

I think I am stating the obvious because you are all talking about not having real names associated with it...but does that also take away from the blogs credibility?

Zygo :flame:

On 4/5/2018 at 6:27 AM, Zygopterix said:

One thing I think needs to be considered carefully about a blog is that being Otherkin is not a religion and as such does not technically fall into the realms of "you can believe what you like it doesnt bother me" 

You will be aiming to talk to people who do not have any concept of how this works and the nearest comparison they have is mental illness,

I truly believe that most people are not bothered one way or another until directly confronted with it, and then tolerances and points of view vary tremendously.

I think I am stating the obvious because you are all talking about not having real names associated with it...but does that also take away from the blogs credibility?

Zygo :flame:

In some ways it does fall into that realm, but I can see what you mean. For me, the aim would be to put knowledge out there for those who are trying to learn about what they're going through and want to know more. These articles online give a false impression of us and if we could have something out there competing, that isn't just half-dead forums, I think it would help and reach more people who need guidance. As for the name thing.....a certain level of anonymity is necessary I think. There are plenty of people out there who don't have their real identities on their blogs or any other account for that matter. I think a lot of that is people wanting to be someone other than who they are, but in our case it would provide a cover. At the very least, anyone submitting an article for posting should be able to remain under an alias.

Yaakovana - The editing should be minimal and sources definitely trustworthy. There is a lot of thought and planning that would need to go into something like this before actually starting it.

On 4/4/2018 at 10:40 AM, Yaakovana Tovah said:

It's not a bad idea by any measure. Question is where you want to put this blog.

I already blog on Blogger and it works fine. And it just takes  a Google account to start a blog. One of us could make an account on the behalf of say this castle and those relevant could be given the password.

But we need to discuss a whole lot more about this, and if the blog should be directed to this forum,  of course also discuss this with the admins.

Agreed. I like the idea of a blog...but much discussion I think needs to happen before someone pulls the trigger on this. Heck I'm even open to the idea of getting the ball rolling, since it seems I've got nothing but time these days.   I've skimmed over this entire thread, and there are just a couple of thoughts I had I wanted to put out there.

1) Yes, there are a lot of folks out there, both keen on the idea of Otherkin and not so much, that regard the lion's share of the the kintypes that people discuss as pure myth.  To counter that, I say, even myths are rooted in a kernel of truth. I have my own thoughts on the subject and I believe at one point I might have put the TL;DR version of them in one of the various subforums floating around in the castle ether. 

2) While I get that making this information a matter of public record might not sit well with some for various reasons, I say, #)*$ em if folks in general are much too narrow minded to accept a concept that challenges their worldview.  It's one of the myriad ways a person grows is to have a little challenge like that thrown at 'em every now and again.

I, too, have time right now since I'm out of work. Mostly I'm just hanging around at home trying to get my classes done and either writing or playing a game. I've already got a blog that is still in the fledgling stage, so I wouldn't have an issue with making another, but, as we all seem to be in agreement, this needs to be discussed and agreed upon first.

@Vaerynn I also believe that myths have a basis somewhere, some part of them that is rooted in the truth. Their origins may simply be on another plane of existence that was once more readily accessible. Unfortunately, people have become so "open-minded" these days that they have closed themselves off to the beliefs and views of others. If you don't agree with them you're a bigot, etc. Shameful, really, what humanity is coming to.

I have a hoodie with a picture of a cat.  It says "I'm A Cat Trapped In A Human Body."  People think it's cute.  It's a ninthreatening way of stating my Otherkinness.

That does sound really cute, SnowCat, and I'd probably say the same if I saw it in-person. There seems to be a slight upswing in things like that. On FB I've seen a couple of memes about signs you might be a cat and that sort of thing. I know it's for fun but it is also a quiet, unobtrusive way to state what you are to others. For most people, it will go right over their heads and they won't think anything of it, but there will be those who will understand. For a while there I know the Faerie Star was gaining popularity as the symbol for therians. Not sure how that turned out, especially considering it's the Faerie Star and meant to be used when working with the Fae. A couple of people I used to know had decided to wear and even tattoo it as a way for others to recognize them as being therian. It is certainly a nice thought, having a means of recognizing each other, but we are all so different that the same symbol can't just be slapped across us like some kind of corporate logo.

I'm sorry, did that start to sound like a rant? Because I definitely wasn't trying to go down that road :hiding:

My personal experience is that many otherkin also have Fae ancestry.  Science insists that we have "junk DNA."  I think, if they wanted to be a bit more open minded, they would find traces of other species.  Babies are sometimes born with tails and other indications of being otherkin, but that doesn't fit in the box.

On 18/4/2018 at 5:26 PM, Rhannan said:

That does sound really cute, SnowCat, and I'd probably say the same if I saw it in-person. There seems to be a slight upswing in things like that. On FB I've seen a couple of memes about signs you might be a cat and that sort of thing. I know it's for fun but it is also a quiet, unobtrusive way to state what you are to others. For most people, it will go right over their heads and they won't think anything of it, but there will be those who will understand. For a while there I know the Faerie Star was gaining popularity as the symbol for therians. Not sure how that turned out, especially considering it's the Faerie Star and meant to be used when working with the Fae. A couple of people I used to know had decided to wear and even tattoo it as a way for others to recognize them as being therian. It is certainly a nice thought, having a means of recognizing each other, but we are all so different that the same symbol can't just be slapped across us like some kind of corporate logo.

I'm sorry, did that start to sound like a rant? Because I definitely wasn't trying to go down that road :hiding:

I have been thinking of buying some jewelry with The Faerie Star and perhaps a tattoo as well. I feel attracted to it, and after all both Elenari and The Fae are Elves.

And I know that deep down it is strictly speaking a Fae symbol. But I can imagine that it might evolving into a broader Otherkin symbol, unless The Fae amongst us publically object to this on Otherkin forums etc. 

Who knows why one particular symbol became associated with one particular group. Did they choose that as their symbol or was it given to them? Hard to say on subjects from ages ago. I know that some groups of humans are supposedly descended from the Fae, but it doesn't mean everyone is, nor that all kin are. It also doesn't mean they aren't I think this comes back to the issue of what your kin-ness is for you: physical, psychological, or spiritual. Vestigial organs and limbs aren't uncommon, but they are typically a throwback to when humans were in the process of evolving and stopped needing those things. We don't actually need our appendix or tonsils, they don't serve the functions they were developed for, and one day we may physically evolve to the point where they disappear.  Of course, I acknowledge that not everyone believes in evolution.

With us being such a large and diverse group, one symbol is not going to work for everyone.

As for the whole junk DNA thing, it makes me think of Leeloo from "Fifth Element". She had hundreds of extra chromosomes and strands of DNA, which only served to make her more "perfect". That extra DNA has meaning, whether it's something to do with being kin or it's as vestigial as the appendix I had to have removed a couple years ago. Just keep in mind, not everyone is otherkin and having extra DNA doesn't change that.