DrakensonofDrakonis

Otherkin as Common Knowledge

36 posts in this topic

My apologies ahead of time, I wasn't sure where this topic would be best placed so I posted it here.

I don't know how many here watch Game Grumps on Youtube, but as I was watching their bloodborne walkthrough they brought up Otherkin. Of course they know about as much about it as any human outside the loop, but I decided it wasn't going to offend me because they were just discussing something they didn't really understand - unlike the comments filled with ignorant asses. 

I'm rambling though, and the point of this topic was just a worry. If Otherkin and Therian are known to youtube channels, and news spreads faster than the speed of walking, how long is it going to be before we become common knowledge? How long is it going to be before harassment comes as more than internet trolls and cyber bullies? How long is it going to go on for? I can only imagine a 'no one needs to know who I am' mentality might be best to avoid being criminalized by self-glorifying haters that are around.

Are my concerns justified or am I just freaking out over ripples in water? What does everyone here think about this? 

I already run on this Mentality.

oh... the comment section... where all the most foolish people in the world gather <<

I honestly don't care. i dont want it on my social media stuff due to employer searches but i mean... what are they going to do? send me dirty emails? im a cop... i heard worse and more real threats then anything that could ever happen on the internet. XD if they came after me irl im an armed texan on my property... << though admittedly i try to keep a low profile online to retain my credibility in arguments about said topics so i just say im agnostic. :) (which is true just not the whole truth)

odd that people have such a bad opinion of us though. i mean... we aren't responsible for mass genocide or terror attacks like others yet we get judged as harshly or more so.

Drake

To be fair, I think we're at the apex of people's awareness of 'kin. For a very marginally small movement I'm surprised its been given this much attention already, though most of that is thanks to tumblr I believe. Can you blame 'em though? Its just another thing among many to crack a few jokes about relating to things found over the internet, its gonna raise a brow or two. Though I wouldn't be worried in any other way, ire is the only thing people are gonna elicit along with casual trolling.

Edited by Claudius Cass

I already have the mentality of keeping it to myself. No one really needs to know that I am kin. Really they don't need to know that I am pagan but it has come up a couple of times at work with a few people who are also on my Facebook or if someone has noticed one of the several pendants I wear. I've pretty well established with those who have asked that I am not Wiccan but I am pagan and that there is a definite difference. People really don't need to know about my being kin. Now, if you're on here or within my inner circle I may share it, but that still depends on which part of the inner circle you are in. Some of my friends are kin and so they know, but they still don't all know what I am. Well, tbh, I don't really make it well known what I am, so there's that.

But yea, no one needs to know about being kin unless you want them to know, same concept as outing a pagan without their permission. I do think that some people will figure we are a fad for a while, we'll get jokes, maybe some harassment, but public knowledge might help others begin to awaken and let them know that they are not alone, might help them find some of the kin sites to help them on their way. Because you know that those who think they know anything about anything will start blogging about it and listing sites, which are already available on a net search but might not get all that much publicity right now.

For now, trolls and flamers and jokes and few who take it seriously, for better or worse.

~Rhannan

People know that I am a Pagan and it is not a big deal here in Scandinavia...Scandinaviens still celebrate more than one Pagan holiday in public...in less than two weeks Valborg aka Valpurgis night will be celebrated everywhere in Sweden with bonfirrs and loads of booze.

However offline then only a very few know that I am Otherkin and all in this selective crowd are themselves Otherkin. In the begining of my awakening I did the mistake of telling a few of my friends that I am Otherkin and to cut a long story short: I have not spoken to them since. And to all those newly awakened: spare yourself the grief and only reveal what you are to fellow Otherkin!

As for the disclosure of Otherkin on Youtube etc. Then I would not worry about it that much. I assume that people in general by now have learnt not to provide personal information such as e-mail adress,  home adress or telephone number on Youtube, Facebook and what have you. So nobody can find you unless you let them! And when reading something about Otherkin in a non-kin onlinde discussion or while watching a vid online about Otherkin (incl. Vampires) simply watch but never comment...in this way no one will know that you have ever watched the vid.

Otherkin have been relatively common knowledge for many years.

I remember my father telling me about a man at his place of work who was draconic in 1983ish.

To most people it is just one of those fringe religions that they know about, and possible chuckle about but don't really believe in or take any notice of anyway.

People (generalising here) seem to accept the "movie star" religion that suggests aliens are coming to earth to rescue us from ourselves so over all I don't think its really a worry.

Zygo :flame:

Well I'm glad to see if anything my concern has just been me being paranoid.

All things considered I think the world has far bigger things to worry about these days than kin, and apart from any personal issues we may have when dealing with humans, otherkin don't exactly stand out in a crowd.

@Draken Yah, nothing quite shows how brilliant people are quite like a comments section.

Well as for the online harassment I have seen and experienced it before, that is really nothing to worry about since ignore buttons exist and ban commands exist. As for the IRL harassment my fellow Kin already said what is needed to be said. Separating the IRL from online is important, but "separating" the Kin side from the "normal" life seems to be important. Simply because people. So even if this becomes common knowledge (and it already is in some regions) then you only have to be careful not to show your true self to those not worthy/trusted enough.

I'm pretty on the fence.

On the one hand, I believe it's something that belongs behind occult doors. Not everyone and their mother are willing to accept that most of us are something completely different under the surface of our meat suits. Some can get easily traumatized. My own self-realization was like hitting a brick wall at 75mph. I was raised Baptist, went in and out of Paganism, became Reformed Christian and started hearing gods. Upon following further, the shock of the revealance was almost catastrophic for me. It was as bad as being confronted by the divine by my blatant disregard for life and rampant alcoholism. It's something that I feel that shouldn't be dug up by the everyone. People have killed for less reasons. The only people who are aware of this are those who found me who were like me. Occassionally the VERY open minded.

But on the same token, if it ever became a serious thing, becoming social with others wouldn't be as much of a hassle. People could relate to one another better and as I've done in public and on site, help build forward on who we are and what we have been through.

And while I don't mean to sound aetheistic or anarchistic, but it could also help bring down religious walls. If more people realize where they come from and know of where they stand in the universe, religion as a whole would lose so much power. While some chaos would be born with it, I personally feel that people being brain-washed, say from scientologists or mormons, would be much less of a thing, if at all and will help grow a better spiritual and emotional understanding with each other and the world.

*performs thread necromancy* I knew we already had a thread about this I just had to relocate it.

I saw a story link on FB today about people who get body modifications so that they can have elf ears (I don't have an issue with this) and they mentioned otherkin as one of the reasons people do it. The word linked to an article where someone had translated a piece on kin and I read through a little of it. Basically the general idea put forth by both articles made us sound kind of ridiculous and like we're....not necessarily all cosplayers but like we're a fad of people who feel like we don't fit in and are making up a reason why. I realize that for some, being kin has physical elements and they believe they're (at least in part) physically their type. Now, I've never seen proof of physical shifting so I don't really believe in it, but I won't discount it entirely either. There's also the many folklore stories of other races mixing with humans and that some people are descended from them, which would create a physical kin-ness if it were true. My main issue with the image of us that I read is that there was no mention or reference to those of us who believe our kin selves is a spiritual phenomenon that is possibly due to an instance of reincarnation or a non-human spirit that was placed into a human body for one reason or another. It just feels like we are being misrepresented by a few....kids. But then I guess pagans have been dealing with this issue for quite a while, too.

I'm not wanting to go around blasting our business to the world, but it kind of seems like it's already happening and we're not being taken seriously because of the way we're being represented.

Yeah, I have heard the whole "Otherkin is just a fad" before, too. However going on more than 30 years or so, at least online, then it is damn old for just being a fad!!!!!

I remember somebody that I knew a long time ago. He, at least back then, was the type of person who would fanatically try and debunk the theory on gravity had it not been blessed by the established scientific community. And he claimed that the Otherkin movement together with the New Age movement would be dead within five years...he uttered those words of "wisdom" 10 years ago...and clearly that has not happened.

But once FB falls apart and places like this one is rediscovered, we can perhaps more succesfully debate and talk about how Otherkin should...as a whole...present ourselves to the general populus.

I myself have often wanted to get my ears "done". However based on accounts from others who have modified their ears to look more elven, then they become more sensitiv to sound/noise and I am already having issues of that manner...so having modified elven ears would litteraly drive me crazy!

I must admit that since setting myself on fire is about the closest I could get to being more like what I have inside I don't much fancy bringing the inside out LOL.... not a good scenario,

I think the online forum commmunity has been submarined by certain people that seemed to delight in "debunking"  the thought of otherkin as a whole. Some still call it a myth even though they say they are one? I find myself wondering how anyone can go to such a place for research and not come out of it with a negative feeling about what they feel

I am not sure how anyone can believe themselves to be something and still call it a myth.

As for other people knowing about otherkin, I think its a bit like witchcraft and ghosts in that unless they are confronted with it in a very obvious way they don't really think about it.

Zygo :flame:  :action-smiley-030:

@Simara True, it has been around for a while now but with the increase in sites like Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr we're getting more attention. I read up on the ear thing, too, and also saw that there were a lot of reports from people claiming they had increased hearing, especially when it comes to music. I also read that it is not only excessively expensive, it can go badly. Infections are easy, stitches can come undone, and if someone botches the job that's kind of it because it can't be reversed or even really fixed. I think I'll pass for now. Besides, my ears are naturally pointy enough.

The "new age" movement is definitely still going, but I've noticed a surge in the old religions that have no desire to be connected to it. It seems like more people are digging and trying to find their roots.

@Zygopterix I've never understood that either. If you think kin are a myth, why do you think you are one yourself? The two just don't jive. I know we've had one or two on here who wanted to debunk us but also wanted to claim they were kin and, if I recall correctly, someone started a picnic on one or more threads that had been started by these individuals. I have to say that we seem to be one of the stronger communities out there, despite our inactive periods. I just hope that, with the attention we are getting and the light it puts us in, people who need the support as they go through their awakening don't feel discouraged. If media, no matter how obscure, is trying to pass us off as cosplayers, furries, potentially mentally unstable, and whatever else they're putting out there instead of giving a wider (and wiser) group of us the chance to share, then there will be a lot of people who clam up and never say anything. There will be a lot of kids who don't understand what they are or what they're going through because of the ignorance of others.

Sorry, I promise I'm not trying to rant. I don't think they've invented the kind of body modification I'd need to look like what I am and I'm not entirely sure it's something the human body could tolerate anyway. Now if, say, the veil thinned enough or dropped altogether and I could shift into that form, even partially, that would be pretty awesome. Scratch that, it'd be amazing!

Oh, I have encountered these so called Otherkin claiming to be Otherkin and yet also claiming that their Otherkin race was just a myth. I can remember a few of them here, but esspecially on a old and now long gone web community called Vampires.nu. When I first started lurking there, you had a few "top dogs" there who acted as if they knew everything about vampirism and were real Vampires...now as for the latter, I do not doubt that some of them were and are real Vampires. But they sure did not like that more and more Vampires were awakening, becoming members and challenging their status...so some of them began claiming that it was all just make believe. Needless to say, the place pretty much died with that remark!!!

So yes, I agree...at this point in time, this castle is perhaps the only really strong not-owned-by-FB Otherkin web community left!

But all in all, I think it would be best if Otherkin just stay away from the established media as a whole , because it is so god damn manipulating. The established media just not only edit  interviews etc. They take out the bits and pieces of reality and put them together the way they want it to be. Making informative vids on YouTube about awakenings ourselves and such might be a good idea...unfortunately I do not have access to any good software and technical requirements to do just that.

Media coverage is stupid. We have more knowledge at our fingertips than we've ever had in the past, but people are less educated than they've ever been because those in power want to keep the sheep under their control. I expect it's a really easy task when so many of them think the Earth is flat. Really that just shows that people will only believe the statistics and evidence that they want to believe. They may be all for the idea of Otherkin being another term for 'furry' as well as being psychotic, obese children. Then of course you have the TQ community who are sometimes looked at much like the Otherkin. And rather than be supportive, these crybabies try to claim themselves completely legitimate and backed by 'scientists' - last I checked, science defines gender by chromosomes - while Otherkin are illegitimate and deserving to be ignored because it's a completely different situation. Honestly, it is a completely different situation. These people who are the wrong gender are in such turmoil because they don't like their genitals. They, much like every other sis-human, will never know the agony that comes from having the mind/soul of a superior creature, sometimes even god-like in nature, and being trapped in a weak human shell. So obviously, I would love if people would take Otherkin far more seriously, and find ways to give people species changes just like they give away sex change operations. I would love it if I could get an operation to change my entire physical body into that of a dragon, complete with the muscles and physical structure to be able to fly. That would make me so happy! 

@SimaraI would not be so quick to rely on YouTube. I've seen people talking about their awakening and their kin-selves and getting harassed by commentators about it. I realize comment sections are one of the places where the world's most idiotic come to voice their dim-witted opinions, but it doesn't seem like talking about Otherkin there is the most effective way to educate people. 

I contemplated posting about it on the blog I recently made for about ten seconds, then realized that's not what I created it for. Perhaps I will create some kin-related art or poetry to share and that will inspire someone, help them along their path, but for now I would rather keep the experiences I've had within the kin community. Or at the very least, put it out there under a very well-layered alias.

I hate the media.

On 1/4/2018 at 2:37 AM, DrakensonofDrakonis said:

Media coverage is stupid. We have more knowledge at our fingertips than we've ever had in the past, but people are less educated than they've ever been because those in power want to keep the sheep under their control. I expect it's a really easy task when so many of them think the Earth is flat. Really that just shows that people will only believe the statistics and evidence that they want to believe. They may be all for the idea of Otherkin being another term for 'furry' as well as being psychotic, obese children. Then of course you have the TQ community who are sometimes looked at much like the Otherkin. And rather than be supportive, these crybabies try to claim themselves completely legitimate and backed by 'scientists' - last I checked, science defines gender by chromosomes - while Otherkin are illegitimate and deserving to be ignored because it's a completely different situation. Honestly, it is a completely different situation. These people who are the wrong gender are in such turmoil because they don't like their genitals. They, much like every other sis-human, will never know the agony that comes from having the mind/soul of a superior creature, sometimes even god-like in nature, and being trapped in a weak human shell. So obviously, I would love if people would take Otherkin far more seriously, and find ways to give people species changes just like they give away sex change operations. I would love it if I could get an operation to change my entire physical body into that of a dragon, complete with the muscles and physical structure to be able to fly. That would make me so happy! 

@SimaraI would not be so quick to rely on YouTube. I've seen people talking about their awakening and their kin-selves and getting harassed by commentators about it. I realize comment sections are one of the places where the world's most idiotic come to voice their dim-witted opinions, but it doesn't seem like talking about Otherkin there is the most effective way to educate people. 

I know it is not the most perfect solution, but it is better than the established media cowering the subject of Otherkin.

Blogging about Otherkin...I really like that idea! I already have my own music blog and I will be able to work on an Otherkin blog, if anybody else is interested...or I fear that the blog will not cover the entire Otherkin community and in general not be objective enough.

2 hours ago, Simara said:

Blogging about Otherkin...I really like that idea! I already have my own music blog and I will be able to work on an Otherkin blog, if anybody else is interested...or I fear that the blog will not cover the entire Otherkin community and in general not be objective enough.

I have a blog for my poetry and eventually to promote my books more than likely. I'll be showcasing some of my artwork as well. But I wasn't intending to blog about kin on there, especially with my real name attached to it. I suppose I could start another under an alias, but I really wouldn't share much more beyond what I've already written on here about my own personal journey and becoming (which is, realistically, an ongoing process). If we could have a sort of joint blog or one person who did a blog and posted stories from many different kin that they were willing to share, bits of advice, insight, things like that, maybe that could work. But that's basically a forum without the discussion part.

Blogging, Youtube, etc. is going to run into all the same problems that any platform does. Much like social activism, voices need to be heard on things. Freedom of Speech, unfortunately, doesn't mean that we have freedom from what discrimination comes our way. Tribes dealt with it, different races deal with it all the time and the LGBTQ arguably get more still right now than we do. We have to live with it and be graceful under fire.

Issues like this one is what I hope to address at some point. People like us don't have many resources and in the near future I hope to publish a book or two on the subject, using logic and science as best as I can to back us up, which is perfectly possible when using the right terminology. Granted it relies in the realms mostly of psychology and philosophy, but I'm confident I can tackle it.

As for body modifications, with technology on the rise, there's many things that can potentially be available to us in the near future. Properly funded, there's many things I would like to do for myself to make myself more comfortable. People see the outside, but a few people are comfortable knowing who and what I truly am...might be sad to say that those same people do specific activities with me that, how we say, help open their minds about it, but regardless they affiliate me afterward and respect my existence. I am sure many can be like them someday.

On 3/4/2018 at 5:08 AM, Rhannan said:

I have a blog for my poetry and eventually to promote my books more than likely. I'll be showcasing some of my artwork as well. But I wasn't intending to blog about kin on there, especially with my real name attached to it. I suppose I could start another under an alias, but I really wouldn't share much more beyond what I've already written on here about my own personal journey and becoming (which is, realistically, an ongoing process). If we could have a sort of joint blog or one person who did a blog and posted stories from many different kin that they were willing to share, bits of advice, insight, things like that, maybe that could work. But that's basically a forum without the discussion part.

Well, I am willing to give this blog idea a try, if anyone else is interested. 

2 hours ago, Simara said:

Well, I am willing to give this blog idea a try, if anyone else is interested. 

It's not a bad idea by any measure. Question is where you want to put this blog.

I'd say a public blog like any other, just make it so that, you know, the real name of the person doing it isn't visible. That way, if it's a topic someone wants to talk about and make others aware of but isn't comfortable with all of their friends and family knowing it's them, then they have a layer of anonymity. Obviously it's not foolproof, there will be people who know how to find out who someone is, but for the every day person it won't be so apparent. And we'd need people who are willing to write articles or suggest ideas for posts that would be put up. I think it should be purely for kin-related stuff, because I know that not all of us share the same ideas on certain things and keeping it to kin only would help the blog to remain focused. It wouldn't, and shouldn't, be a platform for sharing politics or religion (unless religion ties into the individual's awakening somehow) because we all come from very different walks of life.

5 hours ago, Rhannan said:

I'd say a public blog like any other, just make it so that, you know, the real name of the person doing it isn't visible. That way, if it's a topic someone wants to talk about and make others aware of but isn't comfortable with all of their friends and family knowing it's them, then they have a layer of anonymity. Obviously it's not foolproof, there will be people who know how to find out who someone is, but for the every day person it won't be so apparent. And we'd need people who are willing to write articles or suggest ideas for posts that would be put up. I think it should be purely for kin-related stuff, because I know that not all of us share the same ideas on certain things and keeping it to kin only would help the blog to remain focused. It wouldn't, and shouldn't, be a platform for sharing politics or religion (unless religion ties into the individual's awakening somehow) because we all come from very different walks of life.

Agreed. So, we'd need a blog platform that allows for multiple people to post, but not just anyone. It'd have to be privileged people who can make the posts. I'll do some digging and see which blogs could support that...based on it's reputation and my own experiences, we should probably avoid Tumblr unless its our best option.

It doesn't have to be multiple people, it could be one person who posts on behalf of others. The alternative would be to have an account that multiple people have access to. Tumblr is...not for blogging in my limited experience, especially not for what I'm thinking of. Blogger could work and it's free unless you purchase a domain name. I'm thinking initially there would be a good bit of networking involved, stories and advice submitted via proxy (like say I had a friend who wanted to add, I might pass the post along to the one running the blog on his or her behalf). And then eventually we could take submissions via email.