Society of Antisocialites

Getting Started

18 posts in this topic

I was wondering how those on this board began their path into whichever area of magic or spirituality they follow (assuming they do follow a particular path), and how much changed from when they got started - their beliefs, ideas, directions, and all that.

At the moment I don't have much experience to say... How I got started, however, is due to those around me. My family within the system practices magic so you could say I (along with many of my siblings) was raised into it.

- Intent

Hm well I began by deviating and formulating some of my own opinions and such with my initial path. And then I met a wonderful teacher in college who introduced the lot of us in her class to some meditation techniques as well as the tarot. Since then I have had a merry time perusing and learning! And that's how I got my start :D

~Rhannan

I suppose mine started with my mother's view on spirituality, from there on a very vivid and impacting dream that correlated somewhat. After some years started reading a book which had a very interesting take on Christianity and spiritism, formed my views around it and came to be in peace with myself.

I think what mostly changed were views on teachings and being aware of others beliefs and also being wary of pitfalls they usually fall to. Also to be critical of what I've read and try to keep it in constant check with other findings.

Something I forgot to add to mine: the technique she taught us? While I can't quite remember how it went anymore, it was powerful and officially started me on my awakening. An attempt several years before with phantom wings didn't work, but that meditation.....what I saw and felt and some things that had happened and continued happening more frequently afterwards triggered some kind of reaction. So my spiritual path is tied directly into my awakening. I had already been moving away from my Christian upbringing and expanding more but that....well aside from encouraging me it pretty much rang in the doom of that path. I very quickly delved into Native American shamanism though I was introduced to Wicca in the early stages. It never really caught with me. My guides were too insistent on getting my attention to let me go that way :lol: But that teachers openness and love for teaching and expanding the minds and hearts of her students were just incredible. She is by far the best teacher I have ever had and there really should be more like her. I learned to question and to quest, to find my own answers and form my own opinions, find what feels right to me. And yes, I have been met with opposition, I have even been met with a bit of, well I don't want to say hostility but certain situations being what they were the energy got a little hostile towards me. I have certainly felt unwelcome because of my being pagan, and not even from people who don't know me. And I've been told straight up that I am going to hell. Apparently you can be a nice person and do good but if you don't believe the right thing you can still suffer for eternity. I say: we'll find out. Very little in this world is that black and white, there is always another layer, something to complicate things or make it possible to go one way or the other.

My teacher taught me to be true to myself and, when I lose myself in the mess of life and loss and everything else, I don't have to look all that far to find myself again. Only I can decide my path and what is right for me.

And if I spent that much working on one of my actual novels instead of writing an unnecessary mini-novel on here, I might actually be finished and have one ready for editing and print! :rolleyes:

~Rhannan

My parents aren't really religious, but they would probably call themselves christian if you pushed them to examine their beliefs. I never had much interest in mainstream religion, especially after I learned that one of the reasons people kill people is because of their religious beliefs.

I think my interest in wicca came from my urge to find a new way to believe that was peaceful and more in tune with nature. My research started with a book my mum bought me for christmas, and grew from there.

I haven't had any formal training because I wasn't interested in finding someone else's path, only my own. So I read lots and lots of books and my beliefs come from a large selection of various way/paths. I've picked out all the bits that apply to the way I think, or might move my thinking more in the direction I want it to go, it's not a particular path and it grows and evolves with me, changing when I do to accommodate each new twist and turn.

And that's my personal magical journey so far.

Let's see.... my mystical path is also somewhat tied into my awakening, or maybe the other way around.

My grandfather is a devoted Christian (one of the real ones), a member of the Free Masons, and quite an interesting man. My mother is a "find your own path" type, who would always push me to be myself. Then there was my philosophy teacher in high school, an old white guy who had a pony tail and participated in the sun dance with a native American tribe. These three people helped me on my mystical path, which I am much more focused on then "real" world activities.

Magic is my favorite thing, and makes me happier then anything else. In developing myself and my path I have battled myself and creatures of hate, I became the youngest Free Mason in Colorado and possibly the entire United States, and I saved some of the lost.

I will say that with much joy comes much suffering. one begets the other and so on. A life devoted to magic will almost without a doubt have more pain then if you only practiced in your spare time. That being said I will continue this way. Pain is what makes us strong after all. :smile:

I can't say I started on any path really. It's just in me to do the things I do.

In fact trying to follow any other path or specific teaching as such, interferes with what comes naturally so I learned not to mess with it too much.

Zygo :flame:

I grew up with my mother practicing magic, and its normal for folks in my family to see and to a extent interacf with spirits.

She taught me how to block them if needed and raised me bloking spirits, she was afraid id be afraid so she didnt teach me much except to not be afraid, it was later in my teen years that i started lowering my shields and opening myself up to the possibulity, now im fully open and live peacfuly with the spirits around, i actualy quite enjoy seeing them.

But out of my experinces with both spirits and how I personally feel, I supose developed my spiritual views and the closest term for my beliefs I've found is animism.

My family were all mainstream religious or completely non-religious folks and I realised from an early age that neither of those paths were right for me.

I believe in deity, but have a lot of trouble with all the human representatives here on earth, and with all the conditions they place on worship.

I can't understand why the worship of any god would require a special building, huge and ornate and expensive, special clothing, made from the most expensive fabrics, decorated lavishly with precious and semi-precious stones and sewn with gold and silver threads, gold and silver accessories, (goblets, plates, crosses, etc) encrusted with precious and semi precious stones, and the total, endless, mindless, complete abandonment of self will to follow the teaching and instructions of any god as translated and passed down by a person whose only qualification to give anyone this instruction is 1 the fact that he says he can and/or 2 the fact that the people who run things and earn vast amounts of money for doing that, say he can.

Give me an open space and some peace and quiet and I'm happy.

My deity is found in the wild places, where nothing comes between me and nature. I only have to open myself to the connection and I feel it, all around me and within me, passing through like a cool refreshing wind.

My experiences with mainstream religions always left me feeling unworthy and less than I am, waiting to be punished by their god if I step out of line, but my connection to the Universal energy leaves me feeling blessed and comforted. I believe I was given free will, on the understanding that I harm no-one without just cause, without fear of punishment for any transgressions perceived by others and without any other living being having the right to sit in judgement of me or my actions. My deity created all as equals and relies on my own code of good conduct to guide my actions.

I believe my choices dictate how my life will turn out, and that I alone am responsible for my actions.

I try to be the best person I can be, not through fear of repercussions, but through a sense of responsibility for my place in the Universe and all that I could mean and accomplish.

This is my path and my belief in a better way for me than mainstream religion was what started me on it.

Currently in a weak spot with mine but at least it shows me what I *truly* feel-one, no one is there to save you, and two, the Earth and Sky are Powers. The Universe may or may not have a path or answer-we here on this planet do the best we can. *I* do the best I can and other people *always* tend to mess it up for me-so it's time for me to go back to those basics; the Earth and the Sky, and doing for myself. I've walked my path and believed various things throughout; most of it, I'm *still* not sure of:D

No-one I grew up with was religious, they gave each other presents and had a massive dinner at christmas but that was all and I don't think that counts.

I've always been interested in magic and energy working and being a succubus it just seemed like a natural drift to combine the two and see if I could channel the energy from something I really enjoy and convert it into spell working.

Splitting my concentration is difficult and making sure that it doesn't effect anything for the other person involved is important too. I haven't found anyone else that I could share my path with yet, but someday I hope. :smile:

Wow, well, I was raised Christian, What that did was keep me open to the idea of spiritual reality. By sixth grade I had developed a yearning to do "magic" all by myself. However being Christian couldn't allow that. I set it aside until I left home for the Marine Corps. During that time I began to delve again. I had a "Fawry Wicca" stint at this time. I never set aside the Christian spiritual paradigm wholly, I just tried to add fae and faery magic, and that is because I had figured out I was Sidhe by then.

I did some spells with some minor success, but in the end it didn't work out. I opened myself up to some negative spiritual forces by doing this and suffered a bit for it.

So I got out of all of it again. The yearning to do "magic" never left but only grew stronger. I began to suspect that my draw towards "magic" was tied to my Sidhe nature. I still hadn't let go of any Christian ideas, but I was not a very active christian outside of engaging in apologetics online. I got further away from spiritual things altogether as I began to complete my geology degree.

But then my bad divorce happened. it was a very dark time. I went from frantically trying to pick Christianity back up (it was a selfish and thus failed attempt) to being angry at God for a while. During this time Idevled into some eclectic magic again. I had constructed this whole system where, biblically, the forbidden things were contacting the dead, contacting other 'gods," and divination. I rationalized that I could attempt to focus my person energy towards a goal because it was not fundamentally different than focusing thought on studying for a test. Basically I decided that if I could put energy towards a goal of passing a test, then it should be ok to put spiritual energy towards the same goal...aka...magic. I did this via sigil work for a bit.

Then, I found a good church in my area. Something happened there. I began to realize that I had been focusing all on myself. I was really wounded after my divorce so it was understandable, but it was still detrimental to my spirituality. I realized that I needed to be setting myself completely aside as much as I could. This included ceasing "magic" as it, in its most basic form, is an attempt to see MY will done, when i should be putting God's will first. I also realized at this time that I have an actual addiction to doing "magic." I told my prayer group about it, and they tried to cast a spirit out of me. Nothing happened because I am not possessed.

( I tried to tell them that i didn't think I was, but they don't know how to approach that subject yet. I plan to lead a discussion on deliverance ministry...anyway....)

Just last week, I had a conversation with my mother about it ALL (sidhe stuff included) She actually agreed based on her own innately strong desire to touch the world via spiritual means. For her it manifested as early as 4 as a feeling like she had lost something of great value. I could realte because i often feel like a piece is missing very intensely (and other fae-kin I have read have mentioned the same idea...any way)

That's a brief run down of my spiritual progression. I am off magic again. I have begun seeking actively ways to serve in my church, and this has already catalyzed a lot of change within.

I blame my mother completely.

Moon magic, sun magic, earth magic, candle magic, crystals, herbs, gemstone vibrations, tarot cards, rune stones, you name it, she raised me with all these ideas about magical earth connections and tree meditation, chanting to greet the first sunrise of spring, herbal remedies and getting naked under the full moon.

She's amazing and I just followed her example.

Wow....that sounds pretty amazing, Dem! Except that I would rather chant to greet the first sunrise of autumn ;)

~Rhannan

For the most part, my path occurs based on self-desire and partly around my awakening. I reached out to find what felt "right" to me and that happened to be magic. My family was not overly supportive of it, but my Pere was. Although, he hid much of that from my mom and after she died (natural causes), he was much more open about it. We bonded some that way. They both disagreed on different issues and one may have believed something that the other didn't think was okay. I think they were just on different paths of knowledge for what was right at the moment for them.

I can't remember much of a time without dealing with magic or at least with other beings from other realms. I didn't start practicing magic with energy, stones, or herbs until later in my teens. But I've always been able to see other beings and feel them.

And I think mine has changed quite a bit over the years. I view "truth" as a puzzle and that as we gather bits and pieces, we may change to what truth fits us best at the time being. We find little pieces that make sense and adopt them to what is needed. But the change occurs due to learning or life experiences and a greater understanding of the world/myself and how to interact with it.

I agree with your view on "truth". For me, my path has been meandering and constantly changing, adapting, based on my encounters and the information that I come across.

~Rhannan

When I was growing up my parents were very much into pagan practices, so I grew up calling the corners. That doesn't quite work for me any more, I've started to pick and choose things from various religeons, the idea that all energy is borrowed from buddism, the wiccan read and various bits from other places that just make sense to me. I meditate sometimes, I smudge my room if I've had a bad day and I've taken up yoga and looked into chakra healing. It's just a mish mash of everything.

My path has been a very long and windy one.  

I've always had a certain connection to the spiritual, or at least, a desire to understand it. The problem was, I grew up in West Texas, and so the only real options available for me were Christian and  it kept me from questioning to far outside of the bounds of what was considered "acceptable Christianity" 

Once I went to College, my world opened wider than it had ever been allowed to be prior, and thus I started asking all sorts of questions.  Those questions, and the intervention of my Gods, eventually led me to the Otherkin Pagan path I follow now.