Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Yokai

What's a different word for 'Headmate'?

6 posts in this topic

Well, because this place needs more topics, we'll ask this here.

What's a different word for 'headmate'? And if you're a multiple, do you use a different word? It's not that I have a problem with the word, it's just I'm curious on what other word could be used. Saying 'headmate' gets a bit dull from time to time, honestly.

When I looked up the definition of head mate one of the results said "An imaginary alternate personality".

I can see why some multiples are not so keen on the name, but I can't think of an alternative unless you use 'system member' like The Brother's Grimm seem to a lot of the time.

Yep, we use system mate or system member, or just member for short. Probably about as many other systems use those than "headmate" on our other forum. We also use "inworld" or "our realm" to refer to the place we go when we're not using the body, while some people prefer "headspace".

Some systems do use different vocabulary that's a little more specialized, like sometimes we'll call walk-ins "foreigners" and those who were born in-system "natives" but that's usually only amongst ourselves.

It's kind of funny you'd post about this, a few of us were thinking about alternatives to "system member" because that gets kind of boring too. I'll have to go back and check a thread on PR that went over terms without "head" in them and see if there were any other alternatives.

- Mischief

We prefer to use the term 'Resident' or 'System Member' when we refer to other system mates. And when we talk about the Headspace, we generally use that term, but only because no one else really knows what we're talking about when we say 'Closed Space' or things of that nature.

-Jenffa

The word I (and my therapist) have always used is "alter," but I know some people don't like it since they want to separate themselves from medical/mental health terminology.

More evidence that it's been a long time.

The best alternative we've found since this was posted is simply "person". Because we're all people, and finding a different word for that is a lot like trying to label ourselves as something we're not. We're not part of a collective, we're not in somebody's head, we're just people.

The same reason why we divorced from Plural terminology - we're not a system, we're a bunch of people in different factions, who sometimes share a similar geographic location and have access to a meatsuit. So, we have different societies and groups, but nothing nearly as implicitly linked as a "system".

- U.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0