Demovora Cain

Vampires of the world

12 posts in this topic

I was wondering how many different names there are for beings that exist on the energy of others in some form, which technically qualifies them as 'vampires'.

Anyone know any?

I did a ton of research on this kind of thing when I first thought I was a vampire so I have lots of examples, if I can find my book, but I don't want to just leave my list because that might close this topic down to others and I don't want to do that.

So I will look for my book and get back to you with a couple and then maybe add a few more later. :smile:

You didn't say if there were any you knew Dem.

There are persons mentioned in the Asatru called Draugir...they are the spirits of the dead who feed on the life force of the living. The Draugir are not like neither the Vampires of mythology or real Vampires, but ghost and always seen as a ghosts...but that does not really make them Vampires...or perhaps they are the souls of Vampires in between life times. I know that some humans when they die still believe that they are alive and appear to those sensittive enough to sense them as ghosts, so why should it be any different with Vampires? Okay, I had better stop now before I begin to ramble...:D

I know of a real life Vampire Fish. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lamprey

The Lamprey, though not all of the species do it, latches on to the flank of usually larger fish to suck their blood, often for quite a long time. Then when they have had their fill they let go and move onto something else.

Zygo :flame:

Depends on how far you want to go with things. If you get right down to it, every carnivore, insectivore, or meat-eating omnivore on the planet literally exists on chemical energy taken from the bodies of their prey. But I suspect that wasn't what you had in mind.

Depends on how far you want to go with things. If you get right down to it, every carnivore, insectivore, or meat-eating omnivore on the planet literally exists on chemical energy taken from the bodies of their prey. But I suspect that wasn't what you had in mind.

Not exactly.

I was thinking more along the lines of The Upir/Upyr from Russia.

Upirs are vicious vampires that can walk in the daylight and use their metal teeth to tear out your heart after they finish draining you of blood.

The Upir love the blood of children best of all and will always feed from any children in the house first before turning on the parents.

OR

The legend of Lilith who, in some traditional Jewish texts and medieval folk traditions, was considered to be Adam's first wife (before Eve). In these textsLilith refused to be Adam's subordinate and so she was banished from Eden by God. Legends say when she left Adam she become the queen of the demons and wandered at night feeding on people while they were sleeping, especially young babies and their mothers. To ward off attacks from Lilith, parents used to hang amulets from their child's cradle

That kind of thing

So I don't get points for vampire bat? :'(

I've got no more than that, but this is an interesting topic. I'll be follwing along, and maybe researching for something to contribute later.

@Dem - loving the Russian vamp. Is everything bada** there?

I think I've heard the thing about Lilith before, but Judaism isn't my specialty.

- Track

Empusa from greek mythology. She is a demi god and has a knack for fire and feet of bronze.

There is the Filipino Aswang. Said to be ghoul like creatures. They are sometimes said to be werewolf like vampires and almost always female. Shouldn't be confused with the other vampire like creature from that area called Manananggal who again are female. (Wonder what that's all about..)

Last ones I'll talk about for now are the Kappa from Japan. They are tied closely with water (name means "water child") and are said to be responsible for a lot of drownings. They resemble dogo mixed with frogs from the pictures I've seen.

I hope I helped a bit. :smile:

There is "izcacus" or "Aizhakos" from Hungary a Demon said to be called forth by a Shaman. Izcacus "blood drinker or sharp of blood" was called on to protect the Shaman which most likely means it is some sort of none physical entity,

The word Aizhakos or Izcacus has been traced back to the 8th century but is probably derived from much earlier folklore.

Zygo :flame:

Nothing to add except I am learning a lot.

Thanks guys. :smile:

Edit (cos I can now WOOT! Thanks)

Can I look some up and add them or do they have to be ones I've heard of before?

If you look them up then by the time you've finished reading about them they will be ones you've heard of before won't they?

I say go for it, your additions will be just as interesting as anyone else's. :smile: