Lys

What do you think about Atlantis?

Atlantis, real or just a story?   11 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these is closest to your thoughts on Atlantis?

• I believe the story is true, but very exaggerated.
    • I believe it never really existed, it's just a fantasy story by Plato
    • I believe it was a real advanced civilsation
    • Other (please explain)

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

17 posts in this topic

I wondered what everyone thoughts were about Atlantis?

Was it a real advanced civilisation that was swept away by an earthquake induced tidal wave, was it just a story written by an ancient novelist, was it a real place, but nothing as special as it's made out to be, or do you have your own theory about what Atlantis really was? I'd love to have your input guys.

I voted number 3. I believe it was a real advanced civilisation.

I believe it existed, just not complete as it was depicted, in fact I originally thought I was of Atlantis when I first "awoke" but I just recall a city that was similar to how Atlantis was described.

I do believe that there were advanced civilizations on this planet before recorded history. And Atlantis is not the only example of this...Lemuria is often believed to pre-date Atlantis and then there is of course India, with the Vimanas (flying machines) mentioned in the Vedas together with a description of an ancient global nuclear disaster.

I cannot say how advanced these societies were...we have flying machines today, but at the time people were flying in air ships, we still did not have computers, nano medicine or striped tooth paste...even a thing as electricity, which most take for granted today was considered "magic", when the first commercial air ships took off. The Atlantians might have been more advanced than us either spritually, technically or both...or they might have been roughly on the same level as we were in 1962, when we were too close for my likning to yet a nuclear war.

However there are some parts of the legends of ancient civilizations which cannot be ignored as just plain fantasy. Lemuria was said to be destroyed in a natural disaster and Atlantis was flooded...our so called advanced civilizations today is more vunerable than most like to think. Let´s just imagine that our current day society was Atlantis...we are at the end of an ice age (but we do not know that) and the ice is rapidly dissapearing. Sea levels are rising and at the same time (as some legends suggest) we are at war with an equally advanced super power in India, with equally same weapons of mass destruction. One can only wonder if the shock waves of atomic bombs being dropped world wide together with rising sea levels could in fact sink a large island within one night and day. Now keeping in mind that our current society was Atlantis...how much knowledge and technology could possibly survive this? My guess is: Not a lot! Survivers would eventually reach shore and settle in foreign lands while trying to preserve their knowledge by sharing it with the natives, as some believed happened in Egypt...but in time (12000 years or so) the sources of this now ancient knowledge would in the best of cases only be regarded as myths and legends and in the worst of cases...completely forgotten!

Advanced or not...there is one important lesson that we can learn for these now legends and that is: Nothing last forever! One wrong move on the poltical stage (such as the current diplomatic conflict with Russia) or the on coming effects of us treating this planet like crap can put an end to our society as we know it...with in if not hours, then mere days...and all that we know could one day just be regarded as nothing more than a good story to tell around a bonfire.

Advanced or not...there is one important lesson that we can learn for these now legends and that is: Nothing last forever! One wrong move on the poltical stage (such as the current diplomatic conflict with Russia) or the on coming effects of us treating this planet like crap can put an end to our society as we know it...with in if not hours, then mere days...and all that we know could one day just be regarded as nothing more than a good story to tell around a bonfire.

I agree with this. With most of your post actually Jalyndre.

I think that the civilsation could easily have been far more advanced than would be expected of that time. But then the same is true for right here, right now. Many indigenous peoples still don't know what electricity is, and would have no use for a laptop, a radio or a microwave. Imagine the differences between an Amazon tribesperson and someone from, say, Chicago or London. Imagine dropping a Himalayan in the middle of Berlin or Toronto, there would be no way for them to measure their existence against the one lived in places like that, and they probably wouldn't want to. Such differences exist now, so I don't find it at all unlikely that similar differences existed then. People, cultures and societies from all over the globe develop at different rates for various reasons, and that would seem to have been the truth since development began.

How technologically 'advanced' Atlantis might have been is impossible to say because most of the truth has been lost to time, and any evidence that might have existed is long gone.

I like to believe that all I have heard is true, simply for the sheer romance of it all. I love a good mystery and they don't come much better that the riddle of Atlantis.

I voted 3

I believe Atlantis was the home of an advanced civilisation but not in the machinery and weapons sort of way that most depict them as being.

There are in my opinion far more effective and therefore advanced ways of living than destroying things.

I believe Atlantians to have been far more advanced both spiritually and medicinally than the people living around them and definitely more advanced, in that sense, than the human race is today.

Incidentally I do not consider a race that willfully destroys its only living space, to be "advanced" in any sensible way at all.

Zygo :flame:

Incidentally I do not consider a race that willfully destroys its only living space, to be "advanced" in any sensible way at all.

Zygo :flame:

I could not agree more! If one was to invent a time machine and take a caveman "back" to the 21st century...I bet he would think that we are all a bunch of morons. What intelligent creature would possible think that is is okay to damage their environment and eat food which makes you ill...intentionally?

I voted option 3, but I don't believe the people of Atlantis were interested in the kind of advancement that comes from inventing weapons or gadgets, I think they were more spiritual.

Life was more about keeping the spirit whole and healthy through simple living and their belief/faith in their deity.

Ehh Im Just going to go with they were advanced, as in the level of Aztec technology at best.

Drake

I'm afraid I'm not sure which option to choose. I believe the Atlaneans were very real, but they strike me as peacful amd spiritual people, not advanced by modern standards of technology or medicine, but advanced in self wellness and spirituality, in tune with nature and quite probably in tune with whichever deity they revered.

I voted option 3, I think Atlantis existed with technology of healing and connecting with others that we don't have today. I've read a few theories behind the destruction, I think it could have definitely been regarding a misused technology. There was one thing I watched ( I think it was Spirit Science) that theorized that the whole reason behind the Bermuda Triangle was Atlantis being destroyed, I think it's an interesting theory but it doesn't explain the other 'Bermuda triangles' all over the world.

I voted number one. City States at that time could easily be wiped off the earth by a natural disaster, however, there are problems with the narrative from a geological standpoint.

It speaks of at the least large island in the Atlantic (if we ignore compromise theories such as santorini). Such a land mass is not going to suddenly sink because such a land mass would of course not be floating on the water. So I think either the scope of the disaster was exaggerated or the size/location of the Land mass.

Lastly, I also would side with and advancements being more on the spiritual side of the equation, though, the Minoans were more advanced than many in a technological sense which illustrates that Atlantian advancement might have been superior in that time but still would seem archaic to us now.

Well I don't really have any opinions on Atlantis due to not paying a ton of attention to it, but I like Bran's point at the end. Back in their heyday they may have appeared very technologically advanced to other civilizations around them, but compared to present day advances they would seem pretty archaic. And I could definitely go with the spiritually advanced theory on top of that.

But hey, I enjoy Sherrilyn Kenyon's work and she did a whole back story and everything with Atlantis and ancient Greece. Both were technologically advanced (for the time period) to a point, and then a p-ed off goddess destroyed the island of Atlantis and knocked Greece back into the stone age just about before she was stopped. It's an interesting theory (barring the angry goddess), and a bad enough natural disaster could be detrimental enough to an ancient society to do that, it would just have to be the right one. As for the sinking of Atlantis.....it could have been in a different location, or the event may not have been exaggerated just improbable. Islands can sink, although typically they have a habit of growing in size due to active volcanoes expanding their shores. But the very same volcanoes could suddenly cause an instability in the foundation of the island which triggers "sinking". More likely it would start to break apart into chunks.

Theories, conjecture, and my brain wandered off! I like hydrocodone :lol:

~Rhannan

Yup, time for some thread necromancy or necroposting as it is also called. Many forums seem to hate it, but in this castle of ours, a bit of necromancy is seen as a healthy activity...which is one of the reason why I love this place (now where did I leave my Necronomicon...oh right, under that plate of cookies) :lol:

Never the less, back when this thread was first started it was still unknown to many that archaeologists had made the suggestion that Doggerland or as it is known as today, Dogger Bank, could have been the place which at least inspired the legend of Atlantis heard by a very young Plato (aged 9 - 11) at a party his parents held on night in ancient Greece.

Doggerland was a huge landmass that even after the ice age had ended 12000 years ago linked Great Britain with continental Europe and Denmark via not a small, but a massive land bridge, meaning that apart from some short sailing voyages less than two hours combined, you could have walked dry footed from what is now London to the Stockholm area. 10000 years or so ago Scandinavia was still mainly tundra, but further down south in not the continent or Great Britain, but on a huge land area called Doggerland it is now believed that a thriving stoneage civilisation existed and there are good evidence to support this theory!

1: The finds of animal bones and  hunting weapons are plentiful. In fact evidence points to that Doggerland was very rich in both flora and fauna. This would have attracted a lot of people back then suggesting that Doggerland had a, for that time, large human - and undouthly also some Otherkin population.

2: And apparently this, to include everyone, homonid population were very advanced for their time! There are evidence of stoneage huts in the North Sea just around present day Dogger Bank, which is still not very deep. And with plenty of food in the woodslands, valleys, and plains of Doggerland then there was no real need to be nomadic hunters -and gatheres...one could simply remain the latter while living on the same spot! This would have meant that at least villages would existed back then with huts instead of cottages...in other words: same old, same old!

3: Then there are the landmarks! In some descriptions of Atlantis it is said that there were red and white rock formations. Rock formations such as these are very rare in Europe, but plentiful in Heligoland, a small island off the coast of Germany and thus located in what used to be Doggerland!!!!!!! In the stories about Atlantis a great wall is also mentioned: as the large ice sheets in Norway and northern Sweden finally began to dissapear for good the water levels on the coasts of Doggerland began to rise and around 6000 - 7000 years ago Doggerland was reduced to an island in the middle of The North Sea. In the centuries leading up to this is not hard to imagine a, for it's time, very advanced civilisation trying to secure it's coast lines against rising sea levels...just as people do today. And when considering that Doggerland was richly populated, then there would have been enough hands to go around into building some kind of wall!!!!

4: The one thing in the common Atlantis theory which has always left me in doubt is how an island, yet alone a whole continent could sink into the ocean...litterally over night!!! I believed that the truth had been trimmed and that over night was more like centuries of melting water rising the sea levels. And then I heard about the Storegga slide on the coat of Norway!!!! A massive underwater land slide which happened around 6000 years ago sending off a tsunami which hit the flat island of Doggerland and flooded it...in an instant!!!

5: About the population of Atlantis is it said that they were spiritual, but at the end they became increasingly materialistic and as a punishment their island sank into the ocean. Now I am not going to accuse the ancient Doggerlandians of being a bunch of greedy bastards, but Doggerland is linked to spirituality!!! It is by some claimed that those who built Stonehenge came from an island that had dissapeared into the ocean and Heligoland, whic litterally means Holyland,  is dedicated to the god, Forsete...who can best be describes as the Asa godesses's -and god's ambassador in the world of mortals. Forsete was originally a Frisian diety, but migrated north so to speak, not from a flooding but the destruction carried out by mad christian monks! So undouthly at least parts of Doggerland were centres of spirituality! At the end times of Doggerland, it was a small island and islands of that size have always attracted those who seek peace and quiet to engage in spiritual teachings and practise. Prior to Doggerland sinking the island would have been too small to substained any large animal flocks and graising lands, so it is not hard to imagine the the island of Doggerland was a sort of  the still just mythological Avalon, a place of learning and worship!

Where did the name Atlantis then come from? Plato heard about Atlantis roughly 4000 years after Doggerland had sunk beneath the waves and in that span of time then news become rumours, rumours become stories, and stories become legends and well, stories esspecially when spread by the word and not the pen are altered during time and Doggerland could have just have been "moved" a bit south west in the minds of the story tellers of ancient Greece, because to them the only known world was the lands around The Mediterranean...everywhere beyond this were mythological places, home of demi gods/goddesses and monsters ! I believe that Doggerland is the closest to the legend of Atlantis that we will ever come: granted, there are no evidence of space crafts and advanced computers powered by crystal energy, but the people of Doggerland were very advanced for their time...and perhaps already be the first towns thousand of years earlier thanThe Sumerians!!!! Neither were the population direct offsprings of the goddesses and gods: but parts of what was Doggerland is dedicated to a god...who is said to have spent a great deal of time amongst the mortals of Doggerland as an ambassador!

So yeah, sorry to dissapoint everyone...but Atlantis might very well have been found. The decendents of these "Atlantians" or more correctly Doggerlandians can be found in large numbers in such mundain places as England, Germany, Norway etc. And no, Dogger has nothing to do with dogs :D Dogger is simply the Dutch name for fishing boat: Dogger bank has for thousand of years been a good place to fish.

This is what parts of sunken island of Doggerland looks like today:

Present day Dogger Bank

Yawns, sits down and starts eating cookies on top of the necronomicon and listens to Sim.

Interesting.

Well, I just wanted to share this with you :) I just love when myth begins turning into reality...it makes you wonder if Avalon and Hy Brazil existed, too. I have got a reprint of a world map from the 17th century and the island of Hy Brazil is on it, but so are sea monsters!