Rhannan

Hobbies?

35 posts in this topic

I can't remember if this has already been covered or not but as it popped into my head I thought I might ask what all everyone does for a hobby. I used to draw and write a lot, not as much anymore on either though I'm hoping to get back into them. I recently started making dream catchers and for the moment at least it seems as though that may become my new hobby. I had planned to make one for a friend as a gift for her twins' blessing but never got to it, and I happened into a craft store the week before last and found the leather crafting section. I figure it's money well spent since I enjoyed making them so much and it's a nod to my ancestors and a part of my path. The first came out nicely though I wasn't all that pleased with the weave, the second however...just wow. Except that it's missing feathers (I substituted with angel wing charms) it looks like it was professionally made. The first two are/were gifts, and the next two have already been requested. Since I get so much enjoyment out of it I think that I will continue to do this as long as I can (hurts the hands, precious) and perhaps even see if I can sell them which would help cover the cost of materials and possibly help me on the side a little. Hours at work are getting a tad scarce now with the slow season pretty much upon us...

But anyway! What does everyone else do? :)

~Rhannan

Oh hell,where to start...

I like to draw and write too, but I like to read even more :) I am right now working on a drawing of a depiction of the rune/latin letters translation and old Norse/Indian numeric translation...that´s the easy part, I have been able to read and write runes and old Norse numbers for years now...the trickey bit will be the Norse knot design that I am going to do next...that is going to take ages to make :D And it get´s ever more insane...I love the old world maps from the 15th to 18th century...you know the ones with sea monsters, mermaids and sail ships the size of a smaller African country drawn here and there. But I am planning to take it one step further...making a world map in primarily Norse design...with the Midgaard worm around the equator, the mermaid goddess Ran catching those who have drowned in her net, a few long ships here and there...and well me being me...I will toss in a few pirate ships too...and everything will be written in runes. And I am planning on making a map of Scandianvia too, also written in runes and in Norse style and not only writing the city names etc...but also naming the tribes who lived there during the from the stone age up until the viking age. It is going to take forever...but I will accomplish it...sooner or later.

I also like to do graphical art on any computer that I can come near, recently I have made these...I am planning to make posters of them:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/103557569796022782767/albums/592709513554267803

Then I like to do yoga, I also belly dance a lot. And as a practising solitary witch I work a lot with herbal lore, rune lore and divination. I am also into cooking... the Paleo/Neolithical kitchen and Old Norse/Saxon kitchen. I do not eat modern processed food.

Does listening to music count as a hobby? Because if so then I am gaga about music too...I listen to music as much as I possible can. My playlist during the last 24 hours was like this in random order:

Vain - No Respect

Bathory - Hammerheart

Bathory - Nordland 1

Blodarv - Blaek og blod

W.A.S.P - Best of...

Dawn of Oblivion - Haunted

And I am into everything and anything to do with the golden age of piracy :D

Piracy. Now that is a topic I can get into. Right next to Legos, medieval times, and reading Erin Hunters Warriors. And the walking dead

I love reading, but lately I've drifted into fanfiction since I can't find any good books. I've also been writing a few stories as well.

my hobbies revolve around studying magick(curses, hexes, ect), parkour, dirtbiking, nature, and anything otherworldly.

I read a lot, and I am getting into hoola hooping in a big way, though the colder weather is going to make practising difficult because my house is not that big. I like to cook and I'm thinking of trying to learn to knit over the winter.

Im boring... hardcore gamer, avid reader, love hiking and listening to music, getting into airsoft (building a team), and driving. nothing great but i have fun doing it XD

Drake

I also practice Tarot and have attempted the Runes a few times. I'd like to study more in the way of magick but it's hard for me to find any books that catch my interest or seem helpful to me. I've got a few herbs, lots of stones, and little bits and pieces. Maybe once I'm in my own place I will get more and will be able to get more books. I do energy work sometimes but it's really boring to do alone so I tend to not do it as much as I ought.

Not as avid of a gamer as I used to be but I do still love it. Stuck on my PS2 so I am behind on the consoles lol.

~Rhannan

I have studies herblore, runes and tarot for over two decades now, Rhannan. If you have got any questions, then feel free to PM me...I would be happy to share some of my knowledge and experience :)

@ Lyssa: Have you considered buying some knitting looms? That is a really easy way to start knitting. I do not actually enjoy knitting, but I I wanted to save money and knit my own winter hat and scarf...before I knew it, I was knitting blankets. I am still not crazy about it though :D

I love dancing, I'm studying gem magic and colour vibration, and my favourite thing of all is COFFEE..... I am happily addicted, so I study things to do with it, collect a few coffee related things and try new brands and types as they become available.

I read, take photographs and just started taking cooking lessons from a guy I know. I'm hopeless but would like to be better.

I'd be really interested in learning about herblore too Jalyndre. How about some interesting posts here so we could all learn something?

I like writing stories, with genres such as Greek tragedy, fantasy, and Sci-Fi. I also draw various things. Mostly dragons, but I also draw characters for the stories I write. I also love to play video-games and watch good movies.

Also, call me strange or whatever, but I enjoy doing math. One of the things that I'm good at is math, I can multiply triple digit numbers in my head - max record so far - so I figure I should play with it whenever the opportunity arises.

Oh no...maths! *runs behind a tree and hides, trembles..."scared now"*

But yes, I will try and see if I can find time to write some posts on herbal lore :) A lot of it will be copied from the book I am writing, so it should not take that much time and effort.

Oh hell,where to start...

I like to draw and write too, but I like to read even more :) I am right now working on a drawing of a depiction of the rune/latin letters translation and old Norse/Indian numeric translation...that´s the easy part, I have been able to read and write runes and old Norse numbers for years now...the trickey bit will be the Norse knot design that I am going to do next...that is going to take ages to make :D And it get´s ever more insane...I love the old world maps from the 15th to 18th century...you know the ones with sea monsters, mermaids and sail ships the size of a smaller African country drawn here and there. But I am planning to take it one step further...making a world map in primarily Norse design...with the Midgaard worm around the equator, the mermaid goddess Ran catching those who have drowned in her net, a few long ships here and there...and well me being me...I will toss in a few pirate ships too...and everything will be written in runes. And I am planning on making a map of Scandianvia too, also written in runes and in Norse style and not only writing the city names etc...but also naming the tribes who lived there during the from the stone age up until the viking age. It is going to take forever...but I will accomplish it...sooner or later.

I also like to do graphical art on any computer that I can come near, recently I have made these...I am planning to make posters of them:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/103557569796022782767/albums/592709513554267803

Then I like to do yoga, I also belly dance a lot. And as a practising solitary witch I work a lot with herbal lore, rune lore and divination. I am also into cooking... the Paleo/Neolithical kitchen and Old Norse/Saxon kitchen. I do not eat modern processed food.

Does listening to music count as a hobby? Because if so then I am gaga about music too...I listen to music as much as I possible can. My playlist during the last 24 hours was like this in random order:

Vain - No Respect

Bathory - Hammerheart

Bathory - Nordland 1

Blodarv - Blaek og blod

W.A.S.P - Best of...

Dawn of Oblivion - Haunted

And I am into everything and anything to do with the golden age of piracy :D

I'm doing things similar to him but my artwork is more of the ancient Greek gods

Ohh forgot to let you guys know! I posted two of my dream catchers for sale on eBay finally! No takers yet but I have had some inquiries at work. That's...pretty much the only hobby update I have, too much other stuff going on right now with work and life.

~Rhannan

I'm doing things similar to him but my artwork is more of the ancient Greek gods

Erm, just want to mention to Angelicheart that Jalyndre is female. Thought you might like to know.

Congratulations Rhannan. That's great.

Just in time for xmas too. Good luck and let me know how it goes. :smile:

Thanks lol. If only they were actually selling. Not a single budge yet. I have one that is actually being bought, but that's only because it was agreed on, and I am still waiting on guarantee of payment before I finish it. Hours at work are being cut pretty bad so it's hard to get the funds to make or to buy. I'll keep you posted on how they do, and if anyone is interested they can let me know. I can't honestly continue a hobby that isn't going to bring me any profit. As an occasional thing, sure, but I like to do it a lot and I don't want to wind up with a room full of dream catchers :P

~Rhannan

I am happy for Rhannan. It's nice to see a fellow artist having a good tiem with his artwork. Thanks also about Jalyndre. I'll remember that

I, too, am a her, actually lol. And thanks. I am hoping it works out but if not they make nice gifts for friends and family.

~Rhannan

Well wonderful lady of art let your creativity blossom into a beautiful sea of wonder

Hi everyone.

Hmm, my knitting didn't go so well, got half way down, (or up???) the back of a jumper, (or cardigan haven't decided yet), and then stopped. I have to shape the arm holes now and I'm just stuck. :8):

Are you still making dream catchers Rhannan? And what about your cookery lessons Adapt?

How is everyone else doing?

Knitting is hard, even when using a knitting loom...perhaps you should do something else for a while and then get back to it, when you are up for the challenge.

My Rune alphabet drawing is turning out alright...next up is the knot design and that is going to be tricky. I doubt that I will be done with the drawing and have it ready to be framed and hung on my wall before summer arrives.

I've stopped my dream catchers for now. No one has bought any and I just am not going to continue making them if no one is going to buy them. And I can only give them as gifts to so many people....

~Rhannan

that's not good to hear. were where you trying to sell them? maybe you should set up a stall at your local market they will probably sell there

Been trying to sell them on eBay. And I don't know or really care where the local market is. I only have 3 finished ones to sell and I don't have the time or the patience to go sit somewhere and wait for people to ignore me or try to haggle with me. I get enough of that when I'm at work :headbut:

~Rhannan

/late to the party

@Rhannan, have you tried selling them on Etsy?

Forum lurking seems to be our main hobby right now...

Most people here like metaphysics, so a lot of our hobbies revolve around that. Some like incense, or making charms, or studying witch craft. Other than that we walk around the fields behind our house.

The Brothers, Trios, and Eric like making jewelry.

Some have tried to take up knitting, but Jalyndre is right, it's hard and really time consuming!

I know Equinox hunts in his spare time, but he can't do that out here. Some people like the Brothers and Trios dissect stuff. Prague, Ferris, and a few others stick to reading. There are at least four here to mess with the games on our old DS when they have the time.

I'm in the incense and walking group - not much else to say. Although I like cooking, I don't consider it a hobby.

- Track