Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Simara

From crazy to insane!

12 posts in this topic

The last topic posted on this board was created over a year ago. The weather has this year again been crazy. When I was a child floodings in Scandinavia were unheard off, this year they have returned again and they have gotten so common that they are no longer interesting enough to make it to headline news. And there has been extreme heatwaves in both Northen America, Northen Europe...in fact this summer it has been hotter in Northen Sweden that it has in England...and Asia has been suffering from extreme heat waves too. And note these are not just regular heat waves, but extreme ones where it has been so hot in some places that people could heardly breathe. Think eastern Russia in the summer of 2010 where 40 degrees C/104 degrees F, now this year it has happened in various regions in Europe, America and Asia. And apparently it is not getting any better!

According to the most recent research it is just going to get worse! By 2020 and this is just seven years into the future the cases of extreme weather...heat waves, hurricans, flooding etc. will be twice as many as today and by 2040...well, there will be four times as many incidents of extreme weather than now and covering 1/5 of the surface of this planet. The gods and goddesses only know what is will be like in 2060 or even by the year 2100!!!

So we can all just do our bit to be even more environmentally friendly and it will all turn out okay, right? I am all for being kind to the environment, I am living so green now that some people have started calling me a hippy. And trust me...I have never have, do not and will most likely never regard myself as a new age love child...I am far to fierce for that!!! But never the less, according to the above mentioned study we might have gotten our final warning sometime ago, a warning it seems that many have chosen to ignore...because people still drive cars on short distances instead of walking or biking, travel by plane to far away holiday destinations, and using the same "good" old fossile fuels to enjoy this. At the same time, forest lands are still being chopped down to give way to industry without new forest lands being planted and the forest lands which are still have are becoming less able to to convert carbon dioxide to oxygen.

I know that all this sounds like a very grim prediction for thje future and according to the study the future looks very grim...what was once crazy will become completely insane.

http://www.eco-busin...re-now-certain/

Many have claimed in the past that science will fix this little problem, at least that is the impression that I have gotten when reading comments on various online forums. But I think it might be to late for scientists to do anything at all!!! Up until i read this article I still believed that if people on a grand global scale would pull themselves together and embark on a greener lifestyle, then we could save ourselves from our own downfall. I have tried to inform people about green living and I am currently even writing a book about green living...perhaps I should start writing a book about how basic survival and another as a sort of record over knowledge gathered and things created since the end of the last Ice Age for future generations instead!

So what do you think? Have we screwed things up so badly that there is no turning back or do you think that there is still a chance to save the world as we know it?

I still, recommend leading as much of a green lifestyle that you can. Not doing so will be making a bad situation even worse. Living green also equals surviving in a harsh world without any modern facilities or utilities...it will be good to know how to make soap from horse chestnuts in a world without supermarkets and drug stores just to mentions one example. Going green now might very well make your life and the lives of your children, grand children and so on a little more comfortable in a world without cars, hot showers, T.V dinners, converntional medicine etc.

I will during the next few weeks make posts about how to make natural soap, tisane etc. That and living green myself is all that I can do for now, but if anyone has any suggestions on say how to find water during a drought and no, I do not mean water from a tap or how to prepare plant oil to be used as fuel, then please share this with the rest of us.

And don´t give me any shit about science or god saving our planet...you will be talking to the hand!!!!!!

Take care

Jalyndre

Alright Jalyndres Hand we need to have a sit down sometime so we can discuss the terms of your surrender. XD

Everyone knows where i stand on this, so I won’t argue it much here. (I’m the "technology save the world guy") I will say while I appreciate what you’re trying to do Jalyndre, the likelihood of people giving up everything (cars, vid games, computers, etc.) to save the world is small, that’s why I push for green energy and technology. However I'm not here to change your mind, doubt i could if i wanted to. ^..^

But hopefully between the two angles that you and I are approaching this from we will be able to do some good.

Drake

I cannot help but feel that the events transpiring should be allowed to unfold. This planet has been alive for over four billion years, and it has seen crisis after crisis, and is still standing. What humans are doing to the planet is quite a tragedy, and has caused way too much damage no matter how much luxury their inventions have provided.

Because of this, all of the natural disasters that are becoming increasingly worse are going to be the antibodies that cleans the planet of the disease that is humanity. And I say, bring it on!

Jalyndre, I do think that those books of yours are a really good idea. Even if they won't change anything within the human way of thinking, I get the feeling it's something that will be needed.

So what type of green energy and technology do you think it the most realistic to start using...with in sadly a very short time scheme (we are in a hurry now), Draken?

I think that the idea of using food oil as fuel is an interesting one. I know that some use plant oil to heat furnaces in their homes (yep, it gets cold here in the winters) and if it can work in furnaces, then plant oil might be able to work as fuels in cars as well. But I have no idea how to prepare everyday food oil into fuel oil.

I cannot help but feel that the events transpiring should be allowed to unfold. This planet has been alive for over four billion years, and it has seen crisis after crisis, and is still standing. What humans are doing to the planet is quite a tragedy, and has caused way too much damage no matter how much luxury their inventions have provided.

Because of this, all of the natural disasters that are becoming increasingly worse are going to be the antibodies that cleans the planet of the disease that is humanity. And I say, bring it on!

Jalyndre, I do think that those books of yours are a really good idea. Even if they won't change anything within the human way of thinking, I get the feeling it's something that will be needed.

I agree completely what people are doing to this planet is nothing more than a tyragedy! Sometimes I wonder if people also let rubbish and chemical waster lie around in their houses or apparetments...because it is really the saeme thing...it is home!!!! So yes, people should be forced to reap as they have sown. But I bet you that many will forget all about that when their homes are swallowed up by the ocean or when their own children are crying because they are hungry but there is no enough food to go around any more...even in the western world!

What really pisses me off is that I know that people will be complaining and whinning when that times come...wondering why no one warned them. People have been warned and for quiet a long time now!!! Another thing that makes me angry is that it will not just effect us so called intelligent homonids, it will effect the animal population too...and if anything they are innocent!!! But the worst thing is that it is so simple to just live an enviromentally friendly life...it does not take much and it will not bombard you straight back to The Stone Age as some tend to think. I live a green lifestyle and I have no reason to complain.

I will continue writing, I can assure you of that :)

I'm going to read your posts with interest Jalyndre.

I admit I am not the greenest person, living in London makes it difficult. Those are reasons for me, but not excuses.

I would like to learn how to be a more environmentally friendly person.

So teach me, I am all ears.. Oh no that's you isn't it you amazing, crazy elf woman? :fire:

"Gaia was saved by crazy stubborn Elves" that would make a really cool head line :D *Jumps down from her pedistal"

No seriously, I will get some post done soon...most will be from the book I am writing and then some new additions. I just need somewhere to start. So I need to know what people´s top priorities within green living is and what survival skills they would like to know most...I do not know everything, but if I have got in written down in my book or know something via other sources then I will be more than happy to share it all with you.

I think the first post that I will make will be how to live more green in an urban environment, so thanks for the inspiration, you mad nutter of a Vampire woman :D :D :D

"I cannot help but feel that the events transpiring should be allowed to unfold."..."Because of this, all of the natural disasters that are becoming increasingly worse are going to be the antibodies that cleans the planet of the disease that is humanity. And I say, bring it on!

I've been saying this for years among my friends. and honestly, I want to be there when it happens. Don't take that to mean I'm suicidal or willing to put those events into motion. I just know that its inevitable, and would like to be there to see it happen.

@Jalyndre- I would love to read your posts on green living and survival skills!

So what type of green energy and technology do you think it the most realistic to start using...with in sadly a very short time scheme (we are in a hurry now), Draken?

we have all that we need just no company is willing to implement anything and when new energy sources are found the oil companies get them swept under the rug. Hydrogen, fusion, new takes on old solutions like hydro power plants, smaller more efficient wind generators, hell you could make a turbine producing about 800 watts from an old washing machine... this stuff isn’t hard XD just the profit margins aren’t good enough for companies.

Drake

what Drake said

Well, I just hope that the credit and debit cards taste good when there is no more clean water around and food is in shortage. I cannot understand how people can be more interested in money than this planet.

At Draken:So what you are saying is that instead of people just dumping their used washing machines on the scrap heap they could be producing green energy for their house holds? Perhaps you should start spreading the word more widely! I am not good at technical stuff...but I know that many are. Perhaps you should start offering you expertice to people in general...it might not seem like it but I have to a feeling that the Green Movement is growing slowly but steadily...Facebook allows not only companies but private profiles to put up advertisments.

The problem isn't technology we have the technology the problem is money the companies and people with money are so greedy and just want more money, green energies are not cost effective.

on my side i am trying to make my house as self sufficient as possible, rain water tanks, solar power, veggie/fruit gardens its coming together slowly but as soo as i have a big enough roof tyo ut enough solar panels on it to take myself off grid i will be. oh and the money to do so,

PS: we have massive electrical storms for 6 months of the year wind generators brake in my environment otherwise i would get one.

Sounds like you live a nice place, Mog :) I wish that I could grow my own vegetables and fruit, I buy ecological vegetables and fruit when I can afford it and yet, I am never quiet sure if the product is ecological which annoys me.I think, though I am not 100% sure, that my landlord uses an electricity supplier which produces electricity from the many massive waterfalls and streams here in Sweden and my landlord has promised me that he will buy LED light bulbs in the cellar, laundry cellar and other non residential areas in the building from now on, which I think is really cool.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0