Larsomach

what is magic?

64 posts in this topic

*looks around and whistles innocently* >>...... <<.... I know nothing. I've no idea what any of you are talking about. And I am sticking to that!

:angel_sm017:

LOL thankyou Lyssa....Looks like you all had quite a night of it. But....

What I want to know is ...Who dropped a sausage?

Zygo :flame:

well up I may have Knocked the BBQ with my Tail once the drunken dancing started........... and ah Rhannan probably just doesn't remember much of what happened and that is why she is denying it but don't listen to her she was the man culprit! It was definitely a good morning for me!

Hm...yea I do vaguely remember the drunken dancing.... And I think you mean main culprit *looks at self* because I am certainly not a man ;P

But but...why am I the main culprit?! I just suggested the hot tub...I think....Dem was the one who suggested the barbeque! And brought the spiked tea! If there happened to be some rum added well....um....my bottle might've "slipped" over the punch bowl a time or two.... *coughs*

~Rhannan

the punch was spike as well!!!! no wonder i felt dizzy after sculling it!

I'm just gonna answer the OP question

To me, "magic" in its base form is simple any direct attempt to impose one's will without utilizing one's physical being. This definition requires that we have both a physical existence, and a spiritual existence. Since I believe that, I can go forward with this definition. I separate this out from prayer because prayer, by default, petitions the will of another, separate, entity. While one may still be attempting to see one's will done via a spiritual power, it is not a direct imposition because it must be conducted via a third party.

I see this as important tot he definition because many practices that get called "magic" (rituals etc) seem to actually be petitions and thus would fall under what I would classify as prayer.

This definition was very important to me due to my strong addiction to "magic" and my attempts to work an allowable practice of "magic" into my christian beliefs. Using this definition I can liken attempts to influence things to any other way a person attempts to influence things using their body. The only difference becomes the source of the influence. Is it the body, or the spirit? I rationalized that since i was allowed to use my body to get things done, I should be able to use my spirit too since it is part of the creation that is me. Basically, I saw no sin in using what we have been given, unless it was used in certain ways. I avoided divination, contact with other entities and messing with the realm of sheol in any way.

Without going into an enormous essay on the subject, I'm gonna summarize it like this.

Magic = imagination

Imagination -> Method

Method = Science

Science -> Invention

Invention <- Method

Method <- Imagination

Therefore:

Imagination = Magic = Science

Woah, a picnic thread got necro'd

Just now, Mog said:

Woah, a picnic thread got necro'd

Tis what I do lol

2 minutes ago, Yaakovana Tovah said:

Tis what I do lol

Lol, made me smile, those where good times

8 minutes ago, Mog said:

Lol, made me smile, those where good times

Looked like fun xD

WOW. Talk about thread necromancy. I thought this picnicked thread got closed? Must've been the other one. Ohhhh no, it was that other one that got really bad and was shut down.

*peaks down in the picknick basket to see if there is anything left still fresh  enough to be eaten and finds a tin of sliced peaches*

Well, at least this sort of necromancy won't leave you dying of starvation :-D

On 03/02/2019 at 5:48 AM, Simara said:

*peaks down in the picknick basket to see if there is anything left still fresh  enough to be eaten and finds a tin of sliced peaches*

Well, at least this sort of necromancy won't leave you dying of starvation :-D

Munching on cooks from the ancient cooks preserver, I know right