Larsomach

what is magic?

64 posts in this topic

I feel that there might be a misunderstanding between what I consider magic and what others consider magic. To me, magic is that thing they use in Harry Potter, or a word that ignorant primitives attach to unexplained forces.

It seems to be taken more seriously here, which would lead me to believe that others here have a different explanation. So tell me, what the hell is magic (or metaphysics or witchcraft, because it's all the same to me) here?

No-one could give you a definitive answer to this question, because there isn't one. Magic means something different to everyone.

I think it would be better to ask something like "What does Magic mean to you?" at least then people would be able to consider the question and give an answer.

I think you would probably consider me one of those ignorant primitives. I'll try not to let it ruin my day.

Well my understanding of magic is that there isn't any. Everything ever explained, ever, has turned out to not be magic. I expect that pattern to continue. To jump to magic as a conclusion for anything like a dark age peasant is silly at best. I was hoping that someone could explain to me how it works, and show me that it works, because otherwise I just see an cheap belief that only waters down the experience of reality. I pity those who water down possibly their only chance to experience reality.

Shame that most peoples "reality" is gilded in the thought that humanity has, or will have all the answers at some point. We give names to things we see occur in the universe, even if we don’t fully understand them.

I don’t know much about magic, but I won’t dismiss the possibility of it just to fuel my ego. Guns, laws, and games that’s all I claim to know, and even then i dont have all the answers.

Drake

I do not believe anyone can claim to know best what qualifies as someone else's reality.

I do believe that everyone experiences reality on their own terms and in their own way, and that to pity anyone for their beliefs, faiths or religions seems to suggest a lack of self confidence in the one expressing their pity so freely and without focus.

I do not believe anyone who expresses their pity in such a way understands the correct meaning of the word or how to correctly apply it to others. I do believe that people who express their pity in such a way do so in order to feel and appear superior to those they pity, and yet often they are the very ones who desperately need understanding and kindness, because they are often very unhappy, insecure beings.

If this is the case with you larsomach, then you have my kindest concern, and also my sincere offer of help if you ever feel there is anything I may assist you with.

You sure are right about the pity thing. I said pity because it seemed less overtly degrading than flat out saying I view myself as superior to those who still play pretend. I do not believe people are equal, and they can be judged by their beliefs and actions. If someone has a stupid belief, I consider them to be a stupid person. Now what is a stupid belief? Anything without any proof (or worse yet, with contrary evidence). Essentially, anything that goes against the logical process is an invalid and foolish belief. Now why do people cling to such beliefs? Because they want to. It makes them feel better. It allows them to escape reality, and not deal with themselves or accept reality. It is escapism, and it is cowardly and selfish. That is my line of thinking, and that is why I don't respect beliefs or religions or any of that nonsense. It's bad for humanity and it isn't worthy of respect.

I am however, pretty happy with my life, and I am incredibly secure with myself since I have followed a logical process and I do not fear being wrong. I embrace reality, and it excites me to be part of the universe. I do not need to water down my experience with cheap myths and magic. Acceptance of reality and logical process are the tried and true methods of being accurate and correct in all things, including security of identity. These things are the most useful tools we have. Using them is what separates intelligent life from animals. As far as I'm concerned, choosing to ignore reason to cling desperately to selfish beliefs makes people not an intelligent form of life. I do not consider the religious or believers to be people. They are irrational animals that are a parasite to humanity.

Does that help you understand a bit?

It actually gives me more understanding of you than I now find I require at this time.

I am happy that you need no help from me as that makes withdrawing from you an easier task.

I wish you a long and happy life, and now have no more interest in you or your opinions, and nothing more to say to you.

It actually gives me more understanding of you than I now find I require at this time.

I am happy that you need no help from me as that makes withdrawing from you an easier task.

I wish you a long and happy life, and now have no more interest in you or your opinions, and nothing more to say to you.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

Come sit by me my precious. rofl

Have you considered the possibility that having this rather childish belief in your own superiority is making you absolutely no friends here at all.

Your attitude is really obnoxious and most unwelcome here

I have to say that your conduct so far leaves me with no desire to give you any kind of answers to your questions at all.

Is there room for me on that bench ladies?

Zygo :flame:

I'll give you shade under my wings if you let me join you also.?

May I join as well? There's no point in me saying anything more as all it will do is start someone on another "holier than thou" tirade. Oh, no, excuse me. "Holier than thou" involves religion. More like "neener neener neener I'm better than you are". I deal with more than enough egotistical, puffed-up children at work who are looking for trouble, I'm not going to tolerate it here, too.

Brownies for the bench? I've got coffee, too, if anyone wants it.

~Rhannan

I'm an ignorant primitive too. In fact I'm one of those people who you consider yourself so superior to.

I could explain my thoughts on magic to you, I could tell you what it means to me, how I do it and how it works for me, but why would I want to do that? You have no way to understand what I'm talking about, and no interest in finding a way, and I have no interest in talking to anyone who has your views on humans, on life, on religion, on magic or on anything else.

From what I've read of your posts we have nothing in common, and because of your attitude in all your posts I, along with a lot of others, have no interest in anything about you.

I won't comment on your posts, and I won't respond to any comments you leave on mine.

Come and have a drink and a cookie Faith, we're having a forum picnic on larsomach's post.

If we can find the sausages I'm going to get Mog to light the barbie. :11151:

*digs around in backpack* Hm....I don't think I have any, but I do have some bacon! :D

~Rhannan

WOOOOOOO, (flame) of sorry to soon........

Nope! Not too soon *whips out a pan and puts bacon over the flames* Mmmmm ^________^

Oh, be careful opening your wings, dear. Don't want any of those "liberated" cookies falling about ;P

~Rhannan

the store is right across the street if yall want me to pick some up? bringing brauts too.

Drake

Since you all seem to have this situation covered I will wish you goodnight.

I hope you enjoy your barbecue, and please make sure you put the flames out properly when you're finished.

Sorry you won't be joining us.

I'm sure we can count on our two Dragons to take good care of fire safety.

Now, who wants a chicken leg? Mum sent salad and buttered bread too.

MY PRECIOUS COOKIES!!!!!!!!!! NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! oh well i suppose we will just have to eat them now. and it was the triple choc fudge ones as well. sounds good drake!

Oooo I want one of those! Yum! *munches on a cookie* And I'll take one of those chicken legs, too. Bacon, anyone? I'd be happy to raid the fridge for some fresh eggs too if those are wanted.

I think we need some stuff for s'mores, Drake!

And don't worry! I will help with the fire safety, too :)

~Rhannan

There's iced tea, (I spiked some of it but I'm not saying which lol) and I brought some beer and some cold fresh orange juice.

Hurry up Drake before all the beer's gone. :angel_sm017:

I've got the rum ;) *whispers to Dem* Can we spike the rest of it too? O:)

~Rhannan