SenesAral

What are you reading right now?

32 posts in this topic

I am reading a book called The Mists Of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley.

It tells the tale of Camelot and Arthur from the point of view of the women involved. Mostly Arthur's sister Morgaine and Viviane, The High Priestess of Avalon and The Lady of the Lake.

I am enjoying it so much I cannot put down, it goes everywhere with me.

I am reading "A fall of Moondust" by Arthur C Clarke

A moon bus slips into a sink hole and gets buried and the story tells of the rescue.

Extremely good considering it was written well before man even went into space.

Zygo :flame:

Dreaming the Soul Back Home by Robert Moss and From Eternity to Here by Sean Carroll. The former is largely about soul recovery, the latter is on time and theory of time. I've been working on them off and on. The shaman one I always seem to read the next part right when I need that part to help me work something out. It's a good guide for doing soul recovery on yourself, which can be a tricky thing and usually is done by a trained shaman, but in today's world it's hard to tell the fakes from the real deal and not everyone wants to go to the effort of finding a real shaman. It's part of my personal studies to be a shaman and so far it has been pretty helpful. The author has other books which I might look into eventually.

~Rhannan

Dead until dark- Charalain Harris. Yup, you guessed it...True Blood!

Jalyndre, is True Blood really as good as some people claim? What do you like about it?

The Ice House by Minette Walters.

A dead body is found in an ice house in the gardens of an English country estate, is it the missing husband of the lady of the manor who disappeared over 10 years before, or someone else?

It is okay for some light reading and well the passges featurintg Eric Northman are just unforgetable and very entertaining :D Stick to the pocket book version and you will get some fairly good entertaiment for little money. I would never buy the hardback version though. One good thing is that Tara in the books are a lot more cool headed and less hysterical than in the T.V series...I woud love the T.V series even more than the books, had it not been for Tara´s annoying tantrums.

Right now I am reading Holy Blood, Holy Grail by Michael Baigent, Richard Leigh, and Henry Lincon.

Very interesting hypothesis and very good facts to back them up. I doubt that most christians will not like it. But for I, as a pagan, the idea of Jesus of Nazarath having a family, suffering but not dying on a crucifix and who as the same time was both a visionary leader and member of a royal family is as good a theory as anyone else.

Well he did have royal blood, his mother was a descendant of david

might add also not christian or catholic or anything but went to a lot of religious schools

That is true, he was a member of the house of David, the head of one of the 12...I think...clans of Israel. So it was not to mock or disrespect anyone that the Romans called him King of The Jews...because there are strong indications that he actually was that.

Now I am reading something a little lighter, but sure worth a read or two:

Blameless by Gail Carriger

The main character is Mrs. Alexia Tarabotti...a strong and independent lass. And to top that off she is souless, which makes her an important keeper of the balance in an alternative Victorian London...where Vampires and Werewolves live openly amongst humans. Being a balance keeper is not an easy task, but this half Italien half Cockney girl does it with a charn and a stubborn mind. She may wear a corset, but she is anything but faint hearted and well as for actually fainting...she just does that to get her out of any real trouble!

If you like your Vampires, Werewolves lving openly in a Steampunk London...then you are going to love the Parasol Protectorate series with Soulless (Book 1), Changeless (Book 2) and Blameless (Book 3). Be sure to read the Soulless first or you will not really be able to grasp Changeless and Blameless.

right now right now? err the story of puss in boots... yeah im random like that...

but the legit book that im reading is:

Jhereg by Steven Brust... yeah rereading this for like the 11th time, i need the new books, and i need to dig up the rest of the series i have buried around. (dont have the books past 2006) the thing is im not sure if i really like them or really hate them, i love the story, but the order messes with my already damaged head XD

laters,

Drake

"The Hot Zone" by Richard Preston

Possibly the scariest and most fascinating book I have ever read.

On the cover Stephen King says "One of the most horrifying things I've read in my entire life"

It is a true life account of some of the worlds outbreaks of some the planets oldest and most incredible viruses (Ebola and Marburg so far).

I actually remember these incidents happening and the thought that they could have spread further than they did is really scary.

Zygo :flame:

The Lovely Bones written by Alice Sebold.

I think this book is amazing. It was written so honestly and with so much feeling for the subject.

I didn't think I was going to like it when I first started reading it, but I really did.

It tells the story of a young girl who was raped and murdered, then sits in her own personal heaven and watches the aftermath unfold, and her struggles as she tries to come to terms with her death in heaven as her friends and family do the same on earth.

Women Who Run with the Wolves by Clarissa Pinkola Estes. One of the main themes is the impact that stories have on our psychology and culture, and using stories in a therapeutic way. There is a lot of emphasis on the "Wild Woman" archtype, which represents the primal and sexual aspects of the sacred feminine, something that has been heavily suppressed due to lingering victorian values and has only come to the forefront and found relative acceptance very recently (well, what I consider recent). There's also periodic mentions of the "Dark Man" archtype. Think Wesley in Princess Bride before he took off the mask. Phantom of the Opera is another good example. Overall the book has a lot of parallels with my relationship with my significant other, Leanan Sidhe, and it's been particularly helpful towards us understanding each other on a deeper level.

I have two books on the go at the moment to make up for college making it so I couldn't read at all :).

The first is Wind Warrior and since Im only two pages in I cant tell you really what its about. Mostly because I dont know yet.

The other is called The Venus Conspiracy, which is about a man who figures out how synthetically create love. In a bid to not have his discovery misused he goes to a private bank to have his work funded. As it turns out being able to make people fall in love isnt that great a thing. Which nobody saw coming right? Lol. Im really enjoying it.

Punk and Zen by JD Glass.

I'm not that far into it (like, chapter 3), but I'm pretty sure it's about the CBGB and the Red Spot.

It's very um... visual. >_>

I am almost ashamed to admit this, but, I am reading Circus Of The Damned, the third book in the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter series written by Laurell K Hamilton.

I'm also reluctant to say that I'm enjoying them. :lol:

I have read all of those Dem, (at least all of the ones she has published so far) they get a little unusual as you go farther along.

The vampire and other creature types are very well written, often with a fascinating take on the private lives of some of these creatures that I would never have thought of in a million years, yet none of it seems completely off the wall or impossible knowing some of what I know and having experienced some of the things I have experienced.

However the sex does get a little extreme, and in some cases I mean extremely silly.

I'd be interested to hear what you think of some of the later ones. :angel_sm017:

I am a bit stuck on the star wars series at the moment. I'm reading a side story called Millenium Falcon. set many years in the future from the movies the falcon is considerably older than you might think (maybe even older than Chewbacca). Han and family set out to find out more about who owned the fastest ship in the galaxy before he did.

I am enjoying it so far but I may be a bit dissapointed with the ending if the twist in the tale works out the way I think its going to

Zygo :flame:.

A Bed Of Spices by Barbara Samuel.

A historical romance set in Europe at the time of the great plague, it's quite an interesting book.

Track and Intent got us started reading Harry Potter again. We're on Chamber of Secrets now, but there's only a chapter left to finish.

For *some* reason we've been in the mood for magical castles lately.

- Will

@Will: "Some" reason, huh? :lol:

I just started a new book on shamanism titled Medicine for the Soul by Ross Heaven. I'm still pretty much in the beginning stages of it but so far it's not bad. There are a couple of other shamanism books I would like to get but sort of have to try one at a time for right now.

Soon I also hope to get Son of No One which is the most recent book by Sherrilyn Kenyon. Love her dark-hunter stuff for the most part though there are times where I'm just not into it.

~Rhannan

Yes, for "some reason". :rolleyes: You people have been giving him ideas. Soon he's going to be asking for his own castle. *peers suspiciously in Rhannan's direction*

Shamanism is another thing we'd like to get into... But for now I'm picking through the Analects while we finish Potter...

- Prague