Rhannan

Metaphysical books?

22 posts in this topic

Oh where do I start? :lol: I have read "Temple of Shamanic Witchcraft" (quite helpful), "True Magick" (first book I ever got and that was also helpful), and quite a few others. Currently I am working on one called "Anatomy of the Spirit" and though I am not very far into it I think that it will be a good and worthwhile read. One I would like to read next is called "Dreaming the Soul Back Home", but I didn't want to get both books at the same time. A friend of mine has told me it is very good and has some good exercises in it, so I am looking forward to investing in this book. I could use some help right now lol.

What about everyone else here? Any favourites? Any recommendations?

~Rhannan

They are a bit out of the ordinary but I have found that the two books Jonathan livingstone seagull and Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach and the Carlos Castaneda books about the teachings of Don Juan (avoid any drug references like the plague) have been very useful for me.

Zygo :flame:

Ok, Anatomy of the Spirit sucks. I got a couple helpful things out of it but it reached a point where I was like um..no, I'm done. The author starts getting into how the Christian sacraments, Judaic Sephirot, and the 7 chakras all line up and are actually pretty much the same thing and then there's something about the 7 sacred truths and it just got annoying and under my skin and really started to rub me the wrong way. In one part she talks about spiritual adulthood involving taking responsibility for your own healing and growth and acknowledging your power and stuff like that, and then she goes into something about surrendering to the divine and I had to stop. The "sacred" truths I have come to learn are not the same as what are in this book and I do not agree with what she's got for each step in the chakras or whatever. Very disappointed but my boyfriend wants to read it and can't exactly return it seeing as I marked a couple sections in it that I did like :X I appreciated the parts about spiritual maturity meaning you don't depend on some all-powerful far-off deity to do everything for you, it means you take responsibility for yourself and learn to embrace your abilities and power and make the changes you want for yourself. Anyway. Hoping to get the other book I want this Thursday, but we'll see if I can make it over to the bookstore while I am out.

Don't you just hate it when you get excited about something only to be let down -_-

~A very disappointed Rhannan

The thing about surrendering to the divine, has made me not wanting to read that book. There is only one who should be in charge of your life and that is...you!!!!! And sacred truths...I have a huge problem with people telling others what is the truth. I will defently not read that book!!!!

Working with your chakras has a lot of benefits, but please do not mix in any so called truths, christian blah-blah and such crap into it!!!!!!

But what is it specifically that you are looking for, Rhannan? If you want to know more about chakras and how to work with them, I can help you find some links online.

There is only one who should be in charge of your life and that is...you!!!!!.

I like the way you put that Jalyndre..

I also like the way you put that, Jalyndre.

It's not about chakras, I know about working with them. I suppose it's more learning about how to heal myself and better defend myself. I think the book I was going to get, "Dreaming the Soul Back Home", is the one that I should've gone with initially. It is supposed to teach you to do soul retrievals for yourself and that sort of thing, which is probably what I need. I always feel like there are pieces missing, and I know I have some things to reclaim, parts of myself that are still locked away, I just need to figure out how to do it. Feel a little lost at times. Meditation has become less and less helpful as of late and music isn't having the same effect it used to. Not really sure what all to do. I want to get better with energy work and with being able to sense and see things. I was also thinking of getting a book called "Mindlight", which is supposed to teach about energy work and doing magick and weaves it in with physics and quantum physics and explains doing both with regards to those particular sciences. Sounded cool but I have to be careful what I buy and bring home atm still.

~Rhannan

Well I've only read the introduction so far but "Dreaming the Soul Back Home" is a lot better and makes a lot more sense to me than that other stupid waste of time -_- My boyfriend is going to be reading the other book but idk what he'll think of it or if it'll even make any sense to him. He may like this one more but it's hard to say since I'm not really clear on his beliefs and what he's open to. Ah well. The slow process of trying to read a book that could cause me issues if found has begun. (I know that might not make any sense lol).

~Rhannan

I think 'In The Shadow Of The Shaman' by Amber Wolfe is a very good book.

If you go to Amazon online you can read some pages from the book to see what you think.

I have that one on my shelf SenesAral .. I have never gotten around to reading more than the first few pages but what I did read made sense so perhaps I ought to go read and let you know what I think.

If you have it there to read Zygo I really would encourage you to try it. It's a very good book.

I read it years ago when I was travelling a lot and needed a way to keep myself grounded with natures energies, and parts of it did stay with me. I particularly liked the Crystal cave meditation.

Somebody was looking up alchemy quite a few years back, and happened upon one book which introduced Our Savior Jesus Christ on the very first page. I can't say what it was like after that, as the book was promptly closed and placed under the bed. Can't say we still have it, or I would look up the title and see if there was good information in it after all.

Idiot's Guide to Alchemy however was very helpful. XD At least for someone starting out and needing to know the basics.

Most of our reference books on witch craft come from Cunningham. I'm certain there's a novel or two we've read all the way through and liked, but those I'll have to find later.

- Will

Hm I actually picked up one called Brain Magick but never did get very far into it. As shared in the thread about books we're reading right now I am working on a book on shamanism right now. Dreaming the Soul Back Home had a lot of helpful stuff in it for me, though I still don't think I've finished the final chapter or two and it's been some time since I actually worked on it.

~Rhannan

And now to add that I have picked up another metaphysical book! "The Awakened Aura" by Kala Ambrose. I've glanced at the title before but this last time I just felt drawn to it. Flipped through the book briefly, read what it was about, and decided it could be most useful for my path. And I could certainly use some tips on self-healing and seeing my own aura to figure out what my problem(s) might be. I'll let you guys know how it goes! As for the other shaman book I started, haven't gotten very far. Some of the exercises they first gave were ones that I had sort of already done variations of before, or the intention of it was one I had already accomplished for the most part. I'll get back to it at some point.

~Rhannan

Where did you find it? Do you go into books shops or look on the internet?

I found it in B and N actually. They don't usually have a very large new age section no matter what store you go into but they do have some good stuff sometimes. Most everything else I wind up getting via Amazon.

~Rhannan

I love Amazon. I'm also a member of Book Bub. That's an awesome place

Someone has mentioned that place on here. Amazon is wonderful!

~Rhannan

My favorites are currently an ESV Bible and the Book of Enoch. I would add the "Book of Giants" but it isn't exactly a book and is more of a collections of fragments. A lot of the Dead Sea stuff like that is interesting though.

I also like "Supernatural Worldview" by Christ Putnam.

While I wish it were pertinent in actually giving a recommendation, I intend on publishing a book in the future, detailing some of my practices and other details I think the world at large might benefit from knowing.

I would very much like to read that book, when it is finished, Yaakov. Keep us updated ☺

On 4/29/2017 at 6:57 PM, Simara said:

I would very much like to read that book, when it is finished, Yaakov. Keep us updated ☺

Sure thing :p It'll take some time and I have to wonder if I really want to publish it first or my other works. Can't really decide.

I've got a new one, although I haven't started reading it just yet. Been a bit busy since I got it and when I have been free I've usually forgotten that I have it. It's called Dreamworking and that is exactly what it's about. The point of it, if I recall correctly, is to help encourage dream recall and interpretation by exploring dreams you've had (and are currently having) and finding the deeper meanings within. It's meant to help you figure out what you're dreams are trying to tell you so that you can better deal with whatever is going on. However, be advised that it doesn't appear to be from a metaphysical standpoint, at least not purely, it was written by a psychoanalyst/psychotherapist and, since it is about working with dreams, it was placed in the dream book selection of the metaphysical section at the bookstore. Makes sense, I suppose, since dreamworking is largely metaphysical in nature in my experience (especially depending you Path), but it has become more popular outside of metaphysics lately and psychologists have been taking dreams and their impact/implications much more seriously.

I intend to start reading at some point, perhaps once I have some more dreams I recall well enough to try and work on.