Shade

The Light and The Dark- Age old forces in an eternal war?

16 posts in this topic

I've read about this in so many books and watched so many programmes about it I wondered what the people here thought.

I've always believed that The Source was a single entity made up of two opposing and balancing energies, I call them 'the light' and 'the absence of light'.

I believe that my race, The Shadow, were formed from a mixing of these two energies, but I don't think these forces are in a battle either with each other or anyone else. The two energies don't represent good and evil, or right and wrong, they are the two halves of one whole, the creator energy, the source, god or whatever you wish to call it.

So does anyone else have any thoughts on the light and the dark and they way they are portrayed as representing good and evil and do you believe these forces are fighting a constant battle?

For many years now, I have been sick and tired of all this good vs.evil mentality in books, in movies, on T.V etc. etc and etc. If I watch a movie which begins to focus a bit too much...and many movies do...on the good vs. evil stuff, I will simply find something else to do...the same goes for books. I believe that one cannot exsist without the other and if one is being supressed or if people ttry to do so...then everything turns into chaos and I believe that is the reason why the world and people are so messed up as they are. Balance is the key and no, I do not believe the counterparts of this balance are meant to fight eachother, I think that people influenced by dogmatic religions and their idea of moral, good and evil are "making" fight.

I refer to them as Structure and Void, more commonly referred to as "Light" and "Dark" or "Order" and "Chaos". For me the former is male and the latter female, and being more "chaos" aligned I tend to follow that side more closely. They are not in conflict and never have been. One cannot exist without the other, and they work together to create. I am not sure what all info about myself I have put out for everyone in the Castle to read but I remember being very close to the Source. I find that "good" and "evil", things like that, are very human perceptions, very subjective, and are used in order to justify, explain, and define the world around them so they feel more in control and less alone.

~Rhannan

this is where i disagree slightly, one can exist without the other, there can be darkness without light and there can be light without darkness, however there can be neither without the possibility of the other. as long as there is the possibly of the other then they can exist.

I do not believe the two halves of the Source can exist without the other, they are a part of each other and always have been. They are capable of functioning separately but they exist together and form one whole being. I am not sure how best to explain it. Makes plenty of sense in my head, not so much in text -_- I know that outside of the Source, one doesn't need the other, one can exist without the other. I am sure there are plenty of universes where only one or the other exists.

~Rhannan

I think people think they are good or bad or positive and negative because they call them opposing forces.

I like to think of them as harmonious forces or balancing forces within a whole energy.

If you look at the ocean and the way it moves, parts of it flow down and other parts to flow up and round as the tide ebbs and flows.

There are strong currents and smaller ones but overall they never really alter the whole. It never changes and never disappears.

In reality the whole thing has the same ultimate purpose.

It is a huge flow of energy that is going somewhere and yet remains where it is. With the one single purpose over all others.

It exists.

Just as the universal energy exists.

How it is used or not used is up to whomever taps into its energy.

Zygo :flame:

I do not believe in the concept of good and evil. They are a human invention and have no place for me within the Universe and the source of all that is.

I too don't believe in the human concepts of good and evil. I think it's more about energy. I have a heavy, darker energy. My SoulMate has a very light and calming energy. Movies and books that talk of the constant struggle between good and evil just make me laugh. It's good entertainment, but I don't believe it's a struggle. I think it's a balancing act of forces. Those forces are neither good or bad, just dark and light. When you have one, you have the other, whether it be present at the time depends. I don't think you can have one without the other, but I do think one can overwhelm the other.

My soul mate is at the opposite end..... I'm a mixure of light and dark since it goes with love and lust. I believe though there's such things as good and evil but not in perspective.

This idea, or ideas relating to it seem to be prevailing thing in the otherkin community. I always found the ideas mostly to abstract to really have an opinion on. I mean, I can have an opinion about light and dark, but in the sense of actual light and dark rather than whatever symbolic ideas anyone may attach to them. So this of course makes things like the idea of "balance" between the two really beyond me. I mean, the universe was probably very bright up to the big bang, and depending on your opinion of what bright is, was probably quite brightly lit for a while. Currently most of the universe is very dark, so if this is the balance then it's 99% dark. And of course the heat death idea predicts that it'll all be dark eventually, and so I actually don't like the heat death idea very much xD. So I miss the metaphors, because I'm terribly literal with symbolism and metaphors.

Still though, there is one thing I hear repeated in these kinds of threads which does nag at. Things like,

I do not believe in the concept of good and evil. They are a human invention and have no place for me within the Universe and the source of all that is.

Because to that I say, yes they are a human invention that is mostly just relevant for humans, but we are humans, so it is relevant. If there were no ideas of good or evil then North Korea would be just as humane and ethical as Denmark. If there is no evil then what do I call people I knew and went to school with being killed by their fathers for disobeying Islam? Indeed I agree that good and evil are human ideas, but unless you are somehow above the problems and limitations of humanity, then these ideas are very real for you. The larger issue is the making good and evil look so black and white, because it's not always so easily black and white all the time, but that doesn't mean that there isn't good or evil.

If there is no evil then what do I call people I knew and went to school with being killed by their fathers for disobeying Islam?

You may call them whatever you wish. It is of no interest to me.

Good and evil are individual concepts based entirely on personal experience and beliefs. To call a thing good or evil is to judge it based on personal experience, and is, in my view, a mistake. What is good for one person may not be good for someone else.

I did not say they did not exist in my world, I said I did not believe in the concept of them. I also said that they have no place FOR ME, in within the Universe, and they don't.

You obviously have different views, I wish you well with them.

I did not say they did not exist in my world, I said I did not believe in the concept of them.

That didn't make sense to me, but I think I understood your point from the rest of it. That is a philosophically fair position to take, though not the most practical if anyone is going to stand for anything. If you stand for nothing then your idea is fine, but if you have values and principles then from that base you have "good" and "evil" in alignment or opposition them. As a firm supporter of personal liberty and freedom of ideas then I do incorporate good and evil into my worldview to decry that which contradicts those principles as evil. Please don't think I'm trying to force this on you, but it works for me and that's why.

So does anyone else have any thoughts on the light and the dark and they way they are portrayed as representing good and evil and do you believe these forces are fighting a constant battle?

My experiences tell me that there is a sort of "up down" duality going on, where one end is anchored we will call light and the other dark, and the rest of existence is created from the tension between the two sides. Now, if each side was trying to consume the other the line between them would go slack and move this way and that completely destroying what reality was there. From that idea I say that the two absolutes aren't at battle.

Now for the "Good" and the "Evil". While these are two absolutes similar to Light and Dark they are a bit different. One has the potential for creation and the other doesn't, and same goes with the potential for destruction, while with Light and Dark both have the potential for creation and destruction. This Idea gives me the ability to say that Light doesn't need Dark to be Light, but Good will always need Evil and vice versa.

The idea of the two in constant battle makes no sense to me. How would anything ever get done if that was the truth?

I agree with Azrilyan, I think there is a constant tension between the two, as opposing forces I can't see how there couldn't be, but just because they're called opposing forces doesn't mean they're at war.

After lots and lots of thought I think I've come to what i believe the "creation" was like...

I've copy and pasted from my journal. :smile:

I believe that the universe(s) does have a source. However I don't think this source is immortal, but was created like this. Unity split into Light and Dark creating a tether. From there the Light created the Good and the Dark created the Evil and they were positioned equal distance from eachother and pushed outward giving a depth. Then order and choas were made giving hight. Thus we have our three dimensions, but all was still void. Time was planted after that which gives those forces a timeless quality. then first beings were created which one could call mega Gods. They then created universes sometimes two or more created a single universe. In our case I believe three did, one embodying a destroying force, another a creating force, and the last being a neutralizing force so sometimes creation will overpower destruction and vise versa. Thus the big bang that rippled out in 7 frequencies with a half step in between each, giving us the 7 notes, Chakras, ect. From there other Gods came into being, and with the help of eachother a few created this solar system and the Earth, which each uses a planet or moon as a body of their own. As these beings grow they move into stars, or become stars. An example being Jupiter, which is relatively close to being a brown dwarf star. I do believe that the Abrahamic God lives in the sun though I don't have much reason for believing that.

I've heard and read lots of creation theories, and yours is better than a lot of them Zac.

I have one of my own but I am starting to think that there are almost as many creation stories as there are people with faith of any kind. :smile: